The Student Room Group

Student Loans for Second Master (After MArch equivalent)

I am in the process of applying for a Mphil programme at Cambridge, starting in the coming Autumn. I am an Italian/UK citizen and I am about to graduate from a Master's Degree in Architecture (Laurea Magistrale) in Italy. As I try to figure out how to procure funding for my Mphil I have learned that postgraduate loans may not be provided to students who already have a Masters or equivalent degree, but I also read that an MArch part 2 (which would be the British equivalent to my Masters) is covered by undergraduate funding, rather than postgraduate.

So, my question is: if I have the equivalent of an MArch, rather than a regular Master's degree, would it be possible for me to request student loans for my Mphil?

Thank you very much.
I've moved your question to the Ask SFE forum so that it can be answered by official SFE/SLC reps. :smile:
Original post by gmag
I am in the process of applying for a Mphil programme at Cambridge, starting in the coming Autumn. I am an Italian/UK citizen and I am about to graduate from a Master's Degree in Architecture (Laurea Magistrale) in Italy. As I try to figure out how to procure funding for my Mphil I have learned that postgraduate loans may not be provided to students who already have a Masters or equivalent degree, but I also read that an MArch part 2 (which would be the British equivalent to my Masters) is covered by undergraduate funding, rather than postgraduate.
So, my question is: if I have the equivalent of an MArch, rather than a regular Master's degree, would it be possible for me to request student loans for my Mphil?
Thank you very much.

Hi there,

So we can check this can you please tell us the name of the specific course and university you're interested in?

Thanks, Graeme
Reply 3
Original post by Graeme SFE
Hi there,
So we can check this can you please tell us the name of the specific course and university you're interested in?
Thanks, Graeme

Hello Graeme,

Thank you for your reply, and apologies if I only answer now. The course I am applying to is the MPhil in History of Art and Architecture at Cambridge (a 9 month research-based course). The course I am about to finish in Italy is the Laurea Magistrale in Architecture at the Politecnico di Milano.
Original post by gmag
Hello Graeme,
Thank you for your reply, and apologies if I only answer now. The course I am applying to is the MPhil in History of Art and Architecture at Cambridge (a 9 month research-based course). The course I am about to finish in Italy is the Laurea Magistrale in Architecture at the Politecnico di Milano.

Hi there,

When does the course start? Is it full time or part time?

Thanks,
Claire
Reply 5
Original post by Claire SFE
Hi there,
Thanks,
Claire

Hello Claire,

It will start in October 2024 and end in June 2025 and it would be full time!

Thank you,

G
Hi there,
Thanks,
Claire

What is the full name of the university/campus? many come up for Cambridge

Thanks,
Claire
Reply 7
What is the full name of the university/campus? many come up for Cambridge
Thanks,
Claire

It's the University of Cambridge, the course is handled by the Faculty of Architecture and Art History. Below is a link to the course, with all the relevant information.

https://www.postgraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/directory/ahhamphaa

Thank you,

G
Original post by gmag
It's the University of Cambridge, the course is handled by the Faculty of Architecture and Art History. Below is a link to the course, with all the relevant information.
https://www.postgraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/directory/ahhamphaa
Thank you,
G

The course at University of Cambridge is a 1 year Postgraduate course. If you already have an equivalent degree at a postgraduate masters level then you likely wouldn't be eligible for the funding. You can always still make an application so the assessors can determine this. Thanks, Jason

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending