The Student Room Group

is york st john uni lgbtq+ friendly?

is the uni safe for lgbtq+ students? are the staff and most of the students allys not homophobes,transphobes, ect? i wanted to know because i'm considering applying there and i am lgbtq+. posting this in everyday issues because i thought the york st john university section on here might give me biased answers.
Original post by Anonymous
is the uni safe for lgbtq+ students? are the staff and most of the students allys not homophobes,transphobes, ect? i wanted to know because i'm considering applying there and i am lgbtq+. posting this in everyday issues because i thought the york st john university section on here might give me biased answers.

Hi there!

I am a third year primary education student here but I can give you my unbiased opinion. The university is incredibly diverse despite being so small not only in terms of race, sexuality, gender etc, but also in terms of the fluidity in which students present themselves. I have many friends who are LGBTQ+ and although I cannot speak for them, they've said they feel safe at uni and not out of place because of the diversity there. I think in general, when people get to university, they feel so much more comfortable to express themselves in ways which do not always conform with societal expectations. We also have a very popular LGBTQ+ society where anyone can attend and they just have a great time. The university lecturers also do things which increase inclusivity such as signing off their emails with pronouns. During LGBTQ+ history month, the university puts on a variety of events to help educate people aswell.

I hope that gives you some peace of mind! If you have any questions about university in general, I would be happy to answer them :smile:

Rachel - YSJ student rep
Reply 2
Original post by Rachel_ysj
Hi there!
I am a third year primary education student here but I can give you my unbiased opinion. The university is incredibly diverse despite being so small not only in terms of race, sexuality, gender etc, but also in terms of the fluidity in which students present themselves. I have many friends who are LGBTQ+ and although I cannot speak for them, they've said they feel safe at uni and not out of place because of the diversity there. I think in general, when people get to university, they feel so much more comfortable to express themselves in ways which do not always conform with societal expectations. We also have a very popular LGBTQ+ society where anyone can attend and they just have a great time. The university lecturers also do things which increase inclusivity such as signing off their emails with pronouns. During LGBTQ+ history month, the university puts on a variety of events to help educate people aswell.
I hope that gives you some peace of mind! If you have any questions about university in general, I would be happy to answer them :smile:
Rachel - YSJ student rep

thank you, its good to hear its diverse and your friends feel safe there!
Original post by Anonymous
Hi there,

I would second Rachel's answer of York St John being a LGBTQ+ friendly campus. I would say that most if not all of our students on campus feel free and able to express themselves in whatever way they feel comfortable and feel accepted in doing so. They offer great support to students of all race, gender, sexuality, religion etc... As Rachel said we have a LGBTQ+ society which allows students to come together and meet other students who are in similar position. All the lectures and students are friendly and sign off their emails with their pronouns to make it easier for students to speak to them and to avoid the potential awkwardness of asking for their pronouns.

Although when you register at YSJ you have to put your legal name you are also able to put down your preferred name which is then on the register and means that staff and students know what you would like to be know as rather than assuming you want to be known by your legal name. Furthermore, during pride month the University also participates in the pride march through York to show their support and acceptance of these students.

I hope this helps and I hope that you will feel welcomed at York St John if you end up studying with us 😊
Katie - Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending