The Student Room Group

Do i have to decline my offer before i enter clearing?

I have an offer for Nursing at Plymouth, but have recently decided i want to stay closer to home, and want to apply for Winchester in clearing, however if i don't get a place then i'm worried i will be left with no offers, So can i wait until i have an offer from Winchester before i decline Plymouth or do i have to decline Plymouth first?
To use clearing you need to have no offers. Technically you could call the uni to get a verbal offer, then decline your offer on UCAS, then add the choice to UCAS and have them confirm it. But some unis may not give a verbal offer without confirmation you are in clearing.

Remember that clearing is designed for people who didn't get any offers - not for trading up/laterally. If you want to do that then you need to accept a level of risk in potentially not having a place in the end.

Note also Winchester is a not inexpensive city to live in and you may not be able to get a room in halls going through clearing (as it depends on what's left). Which could leave you at the mercy of the private rental market there.
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by ambastarr
I have an offer for Nursing at Plymouth, but have recently decided i want to stay closer to home, and want to apply for Winchester in clearing, however if i don't get a place then i'm worried i will be left with no offers, So can i wait until i have an offer from Winchester before i decline Plymouth or do i have to decline Plymouth first?

You could call Winchester now to see if they are still accepting applications for this year. If they are, you could apply through UCAS Extra, but to do this you would need to decline any offers you hold.

https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/after-you-apply/types-undergraduate-offers/extra-choices
Just remember that for all Clearing places, moist Unis will not guarantee you University accommodation.
So you also need to think about the reality of switching Unis at the last minute.
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by ambastarr

Hi @ambastarr

It's great you're interested in studying with us. I've spoken to our Admissions team and they have said we can't interview without an application so if you've used all your choices you'll need to apply via Extra and decline your place with your current firm choice. If you haven't used all of your choices you can submit an application and wait for an interview! We'll send you more information closer to the time our next interviews are taking place. Alternatively you can contact us when Clearing opens, and we can discuss the options available to you in terms of securing an interview for the course.

If you want to chat through your options in more detail before making a decision, please contact our Admissions team directly on [email protected] or call (0)1962 827234

Thanks!

Quick Reply