The Student Room Group

placements hull

hey, I am looking into applying for my nursing, can any one tell me their experience of placements. I am wondering when in the year the are, and for how many weeks?
I believe its 2 6 week placements in term time only, or am I completely wrong.
I have three children at home so need to check before I get my hopes up. Thank you 😊
Original post by Linzi32
hey, I am looking into applying for my nursing, can any one tell me their experience of placements. I am wondering when in the year the are, and for how many weeks?
I have three children at home so need to check before I get my hopes up. Thank you 😊

Contact the nursing department at Hull and ask for a copy of this year's timetable.
Reply 2
Hi im currently studying nursing at Hull. First placement starts the following Jan and it’s 10 weeks. You finish for Easter break. Second starts in early June and is for 8 weeks. Our next is in October and I think is for 8 weeks. You get holidays at Christmas, Easter, May and end of summer. Some of the breaks tho you have to be available as they can call you in for mandatory placement. Placements can be over the kids school holidays. Too like oct and May (next years break is after the school holidays in June)
Reply 3
Original post by Linzi32

If you only have 2 6 week placements a year, with each week being 37.5 hours a week... 37.5x6 = 225 hours, x2 =450 hours. If that's the same amount each year (3 years), 450x3 = 1350 total practice hours over 3 years. If you did 40 hours a week, that would be 1440 hours over 3 years

The NMC require every single student nurse and student midwife to have completed a minimum of 2300 practice hours over 3 years. Every single university will give their students more than 12 weeks' worth of practice placement each year.

As for "term time only", term time at university doesn't necissarily line up with school terms - although you'll definitely get Christmas and Easter off, and some time over the summer.
School half terms don't always line up - my workplace is in the same county as the local university and all the local schools; the schools are currently off for half term holidays but we have 1st, 2nd and 3rd year student nurses currently out on practice placement.

Quick Reply