The Student Room Group

Non-EU spouse of British citizen to study PGCE full-time

Hi,
I would really appreciate it if somebody could help me get the best advice before applying for full support from Student Finance England. I'm a non-EU migrant who has been living in the UK continuously and legally for 4+ years. Currently, I'm holding a spouse visa of a BritishCitizen (Family route of 5 years, when you get ILR then).
I completed both a bachelor degree and master degree in Business Management in the UK when I was an international student here. I completed both my degrees by my own fund.

Currently, I am in full-time employment in Manchester.

Since I had previous teaching experience abroad, I always had the intention to pursue ultimately into teaching and serve the nation at large. Therefore, I applied and got a place at the University of Manchester to study PGCE Secondary in Business Studies with QTS after they assessed my competencies, suitability and other relevant qualifications and expertise to become a qualified teacher. This is a full-time 10-months long course.
Also, I have been classified as a home student by the university admissions team due to my current immigration status and criteria.

My question is that, based on the above scenario, will I be able to receive full support, e.g., tuition fees loan and maintenance loans from SFE to study the PGCE course?
I need to know this crucial answer before quitting my full-time job as I can't work at the office day time simultaneously with the PGCE course, where I'll be teaching as a trainee teacher at schools full-time basis too.
Without the full support, it would be so hard for me to fulfill my dream to work as a qualified teacher in the UK because my partner is disable and I'm the only earner in the family; we have no children or any dependent.
I look forward to receiving an accurate answer.

Thanks!
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by prodush
Hi,
I would really appreciate it if somebody could help me get the best advice before applying for full support from Student Finance England. I'm a non-EU migrant who has been living in the UK continuously and legally for 4+ years. Currently, I'm holding a spouse visa of a BritishCitizen (Family route of 5 years, when you get ILR then).
I completed both a bachelor degree and master degree in Business Management in the UK when I was an international student here. I completed both my degrees by my own fund.
Since I had previous teaching experience abroad, I always had the intention to pursue ultimately into teaching and serve the nation at large. Therefore, I applied and got a place at the University of Manchester to study PGCE Secondary in Business Studies with QTS after they assessed my competencies, suitability and other relevant qualifications and expertise to become a qualified teacher. This is a full-time 10-months long course.
Also, I have been classified as a home student by the university admissions team due to my current immigration status and criteria.
My question is that, based on the above scenario, will I be able to receive full support, e.g., tuition fees loan and maintenance loans from SFE to study the PGCE course?
I need to know this crucial answer before quitting my full-time job as I can't work at the office day time simultaneously with the PGCE course, where I'll be teaching as a trainee teacher at schools full-time basis too.
Without the full support, it would be so hard for me to fulfill my dream to work as a qualified teacher in the UK because my partner is disable and I'm the only earner in the family; we have no children or any dependent.
Thanks!

Most PGCE courses are sponsored, self funded or people use student finance to pay the tuition.

If you are a British citizen or have settled status, then you can apply for a student loan. Post graduate funding information from Government: https://www.gov.uk/funding-for-postgraduate-study
Reply 2
Original post by prodush
Hi,
Thanks!

Hello, can I ask you a question? I am considering the PGCE program at the University of Manchester. Can I ask you what the English language requirements are for this program, since you have experience?
Reply 3
Original post by alaloush
Hello, can I ask you a question? I am considering the PGCE program at the University of Manchester. Can I ask you what the English language requirements are for this program, since you have experience?

Hi,
It depends on if you're an international applicant. I'm not sure of this because I was not required to have it. Please check the course you're looking at, and the language requirement is normally in the description. Thanks

Quick Reply