The Student Room Group

Help: Medical Work Experience

Hello, I’m a year 12 student and currently towards the end of the year. As an aspiring medic, I’m looking for work experience at hospitals or GPs.
However, most local GPs don’t do work experience or volunteering for a short period of 1-2 working weeks or at all, which is understandable because of patient confidentiality and lack of resources. However, certain hospitals are only allowing friends or family of staff from hospitals to undergo work experience there.

This is the exact email I received from Hillingdon Hospitals Work experience department a few days ago (didn’t include the name for privacy):

“Good evening,

Thank you for your email.

Currently the work experience placements are only open to friends and family of staff, we are not taking external candidates at present and at present do not have a confirmed date as to when they will open.

Regards
Work Experience

Chelsea/West Mid: [email protected]
Hillingdon: [email protected]

Therefore, my question is does anyone work as a member of staff or have a friend or parent as a member of staff working at these hospitals who could recommend me?
I know this is shameless and completely ridiculous because I’m a stranger online and I don’t even know if I’ll get an outcome from this, but I’ve been searching for 2 years, so ANY sort of help/recommendation will be greatly appreciated.

I’m looking for 1-2 weeks of work experience towards the beginning of July at any of these hospitals. (AS WELL AS ANY LONG TERM ONES! e,g 6 months, 3-4 hours a week):

Ealing Hospital - no response

West Middlesex Hospital - no response yet but the work experience department from Hillingdon Hospital also had West Middlesex’s email address within it, so my email could have just been ignored 😅

Hillingdon Hospital - the email above was from the work experience department, to be clear, although I couldn’t apply to the volunteering department, the person I was emailing was sweet.

London North West University Healthcare NHS Trust - applied by form, no response yet but I’ve done these forms 4 times and I’ve never been given a response, I don’t even know if they receive it.

Hammersmith Hospital - no reply but they do volunteering / work experience because my friend did it last year. Her mum is a chief nurse though.

Kingston Hospital - rejected for volunteering and they said they don’t do work experience but idk if they said that just because I’m an external applicant

Just to be clear, this is not me being petty or upset. I understand due to the high number of external applicants and the extreme workload of the NHS, it is difficult to find time to facilitate each student for medical work experience; so giving staff’s family or friends the ability to access work experience not only solves the large amount of applicants but also prioritises the family and friends of people actually working and contributing to the NHS. So this is just my attempt to be part of the loop. I apologise if I have offended anyone with this thread (and I’m sorry it’s so long 😅)

If you have any recommendations or information, please feel free to drop it in this thread or message me privately if it’s more comfortable.

Thank you and I hope you have a great day!

Kind regards,

Winter
Original post by Winta:)
Hello, I’m a year 12 student and currently towards the end of the year. As an aspiring medic, I’m looking for work experience at hospitals or GPs.
However, most local GPs don’t do work experience or volunteering for a short period of 1-2 working weeks or at all, which is understandable because of patient confidentiality and lack of resources. However, certain hospitals are only allowing friends or family of staff from hospitals to undergo work experience there.
This is the exact email I received from Hillingdon Hospitals Work experience department a few days ago (didn’t include the name for privacy):
“Good evening,
Currently the work experience placements are only open to friends and family of staff, we are not taking external candidates at present and at present do not have a confirmed date as to when they will open.
Regards
Work Experience
Therefore, my question is does anyone work as a member of staff or have a friend or parent as a member of staff working at these hospitals who could recommend me?
I know this is shameless and completely ridiculous because I’m a stranger online and I don’t even know if I’ll get an outcome from this, but I’ve been searching for 2 years, so ANY sort of help/recommendation will be greatly appreciated.
I’m looking for 1-2 weeks of work experience towards the beginning of July at any of these hospitals. (AS WELL AS ANY LONG TERM ONES! e,g 6 months, 3-4 hours a week):
West Middlesex Hospital - no response yet but the work experience department from Hillingdon Hospital also had West Middlesex’s email address within it, so my email could have just been ignored 😅
Hillingdon Hospital - the email above was from the work experience department, to be clear, although I couldn’t apply to the volunteering department, the person I was emailing was sweet.
London North West University Healthcare NHS Trust - applied by form, no response yet but I’ve done these forms 4 times and I’ve never been given a response, I don’t even know if they receive it.
Hammersmith Hospital - no reply but they do volunteering / work experience because my friend did it last year. Her mum is a chief nurse though.
Kingston Hospital - rejected for volunteering and they said they don’t do work experience but idk if they said that just because I’m an external applicant
Just to be clear, this is not me being petty or upset. I understand due to the high number of external applicants and the extreme workload of the NHS, it is difficult to find time to facilitate each student for medical work experience; so giving staff’s family or friends the ability to access work experience not only solves the large amount of applicants but also prioritises the family and friends of people actually working and contributing to the NHS. So this is just my attempt to be part of the loop. I apologise if I have offended anyone with this thread (and I’m sorry it’s so long 😅)
If you have any recommendations or information, please feel free to drop it in this thread or message me privately if it’s more comfortable.
Kind regards,
Winter

Hi,
Try checking out some work experience on the website Indeed as they offer lots of different options on there
Also try setting up some connections on LinkedIn as you might find it easier to network and find opportunities on there.
Also, if you're looking to apply to Medical school, sometimes if you have good experience even in communal work like mentoring or working with people from different age groups they also acknowledge the social skills that you get from that even if you didn't manage to access medical work experience.
My advice would also try to start off small and even volunteer to possibly a Pharmacy and then work up and include when you apply for work experience for medicine you can include it in your skills and experience
Hope it helps :smile:
Original post by Winta:)
“Good evening,
Regards
Work Experience
Kind regards,
Winter

online is a good shout- I had a friend who got into cardiff and aston with just online work experience and some experience in a caring role - just check the work experience requirements of the uni websites. Try look into any more volunteering opportunities with hospitals as that's how I managed to get my hospital work experience in the end (1 day with a senior dietitian in the inherited metabolic disorders dept) at the end of the day it's all about how you reflect
Reply 3
Original post by malik.frxyaa
Hi,
Try checking out some work experience on the website Indeed as they offer lots of different options on there
Also try setting up some connections on LinkedIn as you might find it easier to network and find opportunities on there.
Also, if you're looking to apply to Medical school, sometimes if you have good experience even in communal work like mentoring or working with people from different age groups they also acknowledge the social skills that you get from that even if you didn't manage to access medical work experience.
My advice would also try to start off small and even volunteer to possibly a Pharmacy and then work up and include when you apply for work experience for medicine you can include it in your skills and experience
Hope it helps :smile:
Hello, Thank you for your reply

I’ve never heard of the websites Indeed and LinkedIn before so thankyou! It’s incredible how many jobs were available. Right now I don’t see part time volunteering, I’ll keep an eye out! Tysm
I was planning on doing some form of tutoring for young kids so hearing it would help develop my PS is great as well.
I agree with you about a Pharmacy, last year I did go to Boots but all I did was stock products, not sure if it counts 😅
Thankyou again for your advice! Much appreciated ☺️
Reply 4
Original post by Lebkuchen
online is a good shout- I had a friend who got into cardiff and aston with just online work experience and some experience in a caring role - just check the work experience requirements of the uni websites. Try look into any more volunteering opportunities with hospitals as that's how I managed to get my hospital work experience in the end (1 day with a senior dietitian in the inherited metabolic disorders dept) at the end of the day it's all about how you reflect

Hello, that’s very impressive! You’re right, I’ll research more about what certain universities I’m interested in need. I just assumed most unis would prefer those who did work experience in hospitals, that was a misjudgement on my part.
Yep! I’m looking for both volunteering and work experience opportunities with hospitals! I have no reason to be picky either is great. It is indeed about how you reflect, most people say online try get work experience at a hospital because after you may decide it is or it isn’t for you. However, you can do that in other ways I guess :smile:
Ty for your advice! I’ll act on it accordingly, have a wonderful day!

Quick Reply

Latest