The Student Room Group

City Break

Hey Guys,

I have 5 countries and it’s cities in mind for a city break this coming winter especially to experience Christmas scenery, atmosphere and food stalls and markets etc. These are Czech Republic, Hungary, Austria and Poland. Have you got any other countries worth considering and any of its particular cities worth visiting, and any particular places, attractions and monuments to visit please. As well as tips and advice to look out for the best deals in place when to book and how to make the most of the city break/holiday.
Original post by Mohammed_2000
Hey Guys,
I have 5 countries and it’s cities in mind for a city break this coming winter especially to experience Christmas scenery, atmosphere and food stalls and markets etc. These are Czech Republic, Hungary, Austria and Poland. Have you got any other countries worth considering and any of its particular cities worth visiting, and any particular places, attractions and monuments to visit please. As well as tips and advice to look out for the best deals in place when to book and how to make the most of the city break/holiday.

Hey there, I've heard Germany is amazing for Christmas markets. Berlin, Munich, Frankfurt etc. or smaller cities like Leipzig, Dresden, Baden etc. Having said that, Budapest is a lovely city, though I've not been there at Christmas time. Enjoy the planning and hope you have a great time!
Original post by dreamkiller
Hey there, I've heard Germany is amazing for Christmas markets. Berlin, Munich, Frankfurt etc. or smaller cities like Leipzig, Dresden, Baden etc. Having said that, Budapest is a lovely city, though I've not been there at Christmas time. Enjoy the planning and hope you have a great time!

Awesome thank you very much any attraction spots worth visiting
(edited 1 month ago)
Hey Guys,

Denmark in Copenhagen and Amsterdam in the Netherlands. It is said that these cities have an amazing Christmas atmosphere. You need to be there.
Original post by DreamKiller

The best one is in Nuremberg. I can't say anything to it. Never been in that city at Christmas time.
Original post by Kallisto
Denmark in Copenhagen and Amsterdam in the Netherlands. It is said that these cities have an amazing Christmas atmosphere. You need to be there.

Been to Amsterdam in January a year or so back. Quite challenging with cyclists and tram tracks everywhere.
Been to Amsterdam in January a year or so back. Quite challenging with cyclists and tram tracks everywhere.

Better go to Copenhagen. If that is a city you have not met at Christmas.
Zurich and Luzern in Switzerland are also amazing during the Christmas times. When exploring Switzerland by car, I didn’t forget to buy a vignette. It was essential for driving on the highways and helped maintain the roads. Can't be purchased here https://vignetteschweiz.eu . This little sticker made my trip much easier.
(edited 3 weeks ago)
Original post by skirkdaniel
Zurich and Luzern in Switzerland are also amazing during the Christmas times

Really? I planned to be there in summer. Do these cities have a fantastic Christmas market there or something like that?
(edited 3 weeks ago)
I’m undecided and torn does anyone have travel vlog videos I could watch or would anyone suggest which is best to pick
I’m undecided and torn does anyone have travel vlog videos I could watch or would anyone suggest which is best to pick

not quite a vlog, but on pinterest if you search for 'holiday packing list' you can get the most comprehensive and detailed lists with everything on it from entertainment to having spare plastic/laundry bags for worn clothes that you don't want to mix with your unworn/clean clothes

Quick Reply

Latest