The Student Room Group

Geography Nea Ideas

I have to write the proposal to my NEA soon and I’m still stuck on what questions to do.
I want to do a human topic but I don’t know what to look at.
Reply 1
It sort of depends on where you took fieldwork data from as that’s a big part of your NEA (at least for AQA). As our class did fieldwork in Spitalfields on how it’s changed overtime, some ppl I know did their NEA on the gentrification of the area. Try asking your teacher for some advice perhaps, hope that helps.
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by nnads
I have to write the proposal to my NEA soon and I’m still stuck on what questions to do.
Is there anywhere local to you that has been regenerated? That’s quite a good topic!
Original post by nnads

I did a human topic for mine and it was so much easier than expected. I picked a local regeneration scheme which was a new cinema and restaurant area that had opened up near me. But you could do anything such as a retail park, shopping centre, new cinema scheme. I ended up getting pretty high and it’s easy to write about, I’d be happy to share any data methods I used.
Reply 4
Original post by chris.a5
It sort of depends on where you took fieldwork data from as that’s a big part of your NEA (at least for AQA). As our class did fieldwork in Spitalfields on how it’s changed overtime, some ppl I know did their NEA on the gentrification of the area. Try asking your teacher for some advice perhaps, hope that helps.

Ahh thank you!
Reply 5
Original post by Bella126826
I did a human topic for mine and it was so much easier than expected. I picked a local regeneration scheme which was a new cinema and restaurant area that had opened up near me. But you could do anything such as a retail park, shopping centre, new cinema scheme. I ended up getting pretty high and it’s easy to write about, I’d be happy to share any data methods I used.

Oh that’s great!! If it’s okay I’d love to hear the data methods you used! Thanks for the ideas 👍👍
Reply 6
Original post by nnads

I would recommend just doing it on a topic and a place that is interesting and meaningful to you. To give you some inspiration, my NEA title was “To what extent has regeneration in Hong Kong improved ethnic minorities” and there was quite a lot of reasoning behind this:
- Hong Kong because that is my birthplace and I was there last summer and could use that time for data collection
- Regeneration because urban geography is just interesting to me and is something I look forward to studying geography in uni
- Ethnic minorities because I feel like they are far too underrepresented in Hong Kong and has experienced lots of stigma and discrimination so I wanted to shed a light on the ethnic minorities in Hong Kong especially the vital role they play in low skilled works and WW2
Original post by nnads
Oh that’s great!! If it’s okay I’d love to hear the data methods you used! Thanks for the ideas 👍👍

Online questionnaires honestly saved me, using a Microsoft forms and posting it on Facebook pages. You can collect so much data from them and if your areas a town or city more people will
comment. I did some pedestrian counts like weekend vs weekday at various places in the area to see if any custom had been taken away. I used a lot of secondary data like looking at shop closures- I screenshotted article titles and put them in and analysed them. And INTERVIEWS basically saved me the most, they’re scary asf but they’re so good, random shop owners, friends. Basically I ended up concluding that it was a good thing, but the town centre was derelict and it needed more investment. But it varies with place.
Reply 8
Original post by Zantu
I would recommend just doing it on a topic and a place that is interesting and meaningful to you. To give you some inspiration, my NEA title was “To what extent has regeneration in Hong Kong improved ethnic minorities” and there was quite a lot of reasoning behind this:
- Hong Kong because that is my birthplace and I was there last summer and could use that time for data collection
- Regeneration because urban geography is just interesting to me and is something I look forward to studying geography in uni
- Ethnic minorities because I feel like they are far too underrepresented in Hong Kong and has experienced lots of stigma and discrimination so I wanted to shed a light on the ethnic minorities in Hong Kong especially the vital role they play in low skilled works and WW2
Woahh this is a great idea! I'm going back to my home country this summer so this is quite good. Although, what happens if you need to collect more data than what you already have and you're back in the UK? Did you have any problems with that?
Reply 9
Online questionnaires honestly saved me, using a Microsoft forms and posting it on Facebook pages. You can collect so much data from them and if your areas a town or city more people will
comment. I did some pedestrian counts like weekend vs weekday at various places in the area to see if any custom had been taken away. I used a lot of secondary data like looking at shop closures- I screenshotted article titles and put them in and analysed them. And INTERVIEWS basically saved me the most, they’re scary asf but they’re so good, random shop owners, friends. Basically I ended up concluding that it was a good thing, but the town centre was derelict and it needed more investment. But it varies with place.

Thank you so much! It sounds so fun
Reply 10
Original post by nnads
Woahh this is a great idea! I'm going back to my home country this summer so this is quite good. Although, what happens if you need to collect more data than what you already have and you're back in the UK? Did you have any problems with that?

I did very extensive planning as to how I want my NEA to look like. The only data I collected when I was in Hong Kong was photos and questionnaire (partially online as I posted it on social media and forums and I also promoted it in person), and EQS. For example, I made the survey prior to departure and planned what areas I want to take photos of. The rest was stuff I could do online such as building ages, census, property prices and news articles. I was also very lucky that I was actually in Hong Kong for a month and a half due to personal reasons but I also left the surveying to the very last minute. I hope this helps!
Reply 11
Original post by Zantu
I did very extensive planning as to how I want my NEA to look like. The only data I collected when I was in Hong Kong was photos and questionnaire (partially online as I posted it on social media and forums and I also promoted it in person), and EQS. For example, I made the survey prior to departure and planned what areas I want to take photos of. The rest was stuff I could do online such as building ages, census, property prices and news articles. I was also very lucky that I was actually in Hong Kong for a month and a half due to personal reasons but I also left the surveying to the very last minute. I hope this helps!

Thank you so much for this!

What sub questions did you use, I have a similar idea but am stuck with sub questions!!

This sounds great as a similar thing has happened in my area recently but I was wondering what was the title of your project, what data did you collect and how did you go about doing it

Quick Reply