The Student Room Group

Changing from one healthcare course to another after foundati year with a past degree

I am currently a suspended (for health reasons) 30 year old student studying a four year (1 year foundation + 3 BSc) healthcare BSc (Hons) physiotherapy degree.

I did the (integral) foundation year for this degree and suspended within four weeks of starting the BSc part (suspended 12th October 2023). The foundation year and first year BSc were at the same uni.

I got full tuition fee loans and the special support loan for being disabled and on PIP. I did not get the NHS learning support fund because of suspending early.

I have a previous three year degree from when I was 18-21 and got full loans and maintenance for this.I now do not want to study physiotherapy and I realised I want to study occupational therapy. I told the current uni I will try to transfer to occupational therapy. I tried this but my transfer was rejected after an interview.

After this rejection, I applied to study BSc occupational therapy at other universities and accepted to some. They all know I studied foundation year physio and want to change. Therefore, I am asking about the financial situation now.

To my knowledge, if I withdraw from my current BSc physio and study occupational at another place I should be able to get the same funding as I have when I started the foundation physio degree.

Because I am doing a healthcare course again it should not matter that I have a previous degree and studied a healthcare foundation year + 4 weeks of first year?

So I should be able to get full tuition fee loan and maintenance (special support) loan for three years BSc occupational therapy because I am studying a healthcare course that is exempt from the funding rules?

If not I should have to go back to studying physiotherapy even though I don't want to if that is the only financial option. Thank you.Yours faithfully, Tom.
(edited 4 weeks ago)
Thread moved to Ask SFE forum so that an official rep will reply. :smile:
Original post by normaw
Thread moved to Ask SFE forum so that an official rep will reply. :smile:

Thanks
Original post by AlliedNations
I am currently a suspended (for health reasons) 30 year old student studying a four year (1 year foundation + 3 BSc) healthcare BSc (Hons) physiotherapy degree.
I did the (integral) foundation year for this degree and suspended within four weeks of starting the BSc part (suspended 12th October 2023). The foundation year and first year BSc were at the same uni.
I got full tuition fee loans and the special support loan for being disabled and on PIP. I did not get the NHS learning support fund because of suspending early.
I have a previous three year degree from when I was 18-21 and got full loans and maintenance for this.I now do not want to study physiotherapy and I realised I want to study occupational therapy. I told the current uni I will try to transfer to occupational therapy. I tried this but my transfer was rejected after an interview.
After this rejection, I applied to study BSc occupational therapy at other universities and accepted to some. They all know I studied foundation year physio and want to change. Therefore, I am asking about the financial situation now.
To my knowledge, if I withdraw from my current BSc physio and study occupational at another place I should be able to get the same funding as I have when I started the foundation physio degree.
Because I am doing a healthcare course again it should not matter that I have a previous degree and studied a healthcare foundation year + 4 weeks of first year?
So I should be able to get full tuition fee loan and maintenance (special support) loan for three years BSc occupational therapy because I am studying a healthcare course that is exempt from the funding rules?
If not I should have to go back to studying physiotherapy even though I don't want to if that is the only financial option. Thank you.Yours faithfully, Tom.

Hi there,

When are you hoping to start this new course and will it be full time or part time?

Thanks,
Claire
Original post by Claire SFE
Hi there,
When are you hoping to start this new course and will it be full time or part time?
Thanks,
Claire
Full and September
I talked to my old uni and they said it should be fine.
Hi AlliedNations,

If you have previous study on an AHP course and you are looking to start a new AHP course this will not be counted as repeat study. This will be considered as a new course so you will have access to the full package of funding.

Thanks,
Calum

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending