The Student Room Group

I don't know what A-levels to pick

Since the start of Year 11 till now, I have changed my mind on what subjects I want to take at college about 5 times and now I have no idea and I'm getting really anxious because I think I'm going to be in the same position come September. I don't want to do any sciences and I dont want to do any maths. All the subjects I take are boring and I just don't know what to do anymore.
Here are my grades:
PE - 9
Enterprise - L2 Distinction
Geography - 5
Computing - 3
English - 6 6
Biology - 8
Chemistry - 9
Physics - 8
Maths - 7

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What do you want to do after you leave school.
Reply 2
Original post by McGinger
What do you want to do after you leave school.

It might sound a bit far out to you but my big dream is to play in the nfl
Definitely take PE - I’ve heard it’s great and relatively easy to get a good grade. Are you sure you don’t want to to take sciences? You seem pretty good at them?
Reply 4
Original post by a.kennedy2005
Definitely take PE - I’ve heard it’s great and relatively easy to get a good grade. Are you sure you don’t want to to take sciences? You seem pretty good at them?

My first thought was PE,Chem,Bio/Math. This was when I was first applying however I swapped my subjects because I thought about how much I enjoyed each one and even though I'm relatively alright in them, I hate them all and I just feel at A-level I wont be able to handle it all especially with organic chemistry being way too in depth
Reply 5
Original post by PrinceTobi
It might sound a bit far out to you but my big dream is to play in the nfl

And how exactly are you going to manage that.
And what would you do instead.
Reply 6
Original post by McGinger
And how exactly are you going to manage that.
And what would you do instead.

I'm already playing in a top level team. All I need to do is get scouted during college for a scholarship. I'm honestly not sure what I'd do if I didn't though..
Do maths so versatile gets u in anywhere, do pe if u enjoy it then do chem cuz you clearly good at it
Reply 8
Original post by mmuhammad2004
Do maths so versatile gets u in anywhere, do pe if u enjoy it then do chem cuz you clearly good at it

I'm not really great at maths I'm not gonna lie and I think I've just been really lucky with chemistry to be honest
Reply 9
Focus on PE since it's relevant to your NFL dream. For the other subjects, consider something like Business Studies or Psychology for variety.
Reply 10
Original post by Sweetum68
Focus on PE since it's relevant to your NFL dream. For the other subjects, consider something like Business Studies or Psychology for variety.

I was thinking of psychology actually but everyone I've asked about it has either said it was really good or it was the worst decision they had ever made
Since the start of Year 11 till now, I have changed my mind on what subjects I want to take at college about 5 times and now I have no idea and I'm getting really anxious because I think I'm going to be in the same position come September. I don't want to do any sciences and I dont want to do any maths. All the subjects I take are boring and I just don't know what to do anymore.
Here are my grades:
PE - 9
Geography - 5
Computing - 3
English - 6 6
Biology - 8
Chemistry - 9
Physics - 8
Maths - 7

i think that bio and pe are always a good combo and if u like sports then those 2 would be really helpful, and then probably chem or maths cos it looks like you’re really good at science and maths
Reply 12
Original post by shredded-rainfal
i think that bio and pe are always a good combo and if u like sports then those 2 would be really helpful, and then probably chem or maths cos it looks like you’re really good at science and maths

Thank you so much, I think taking pe at a-level might not be the case for me since pe at gcse i find really boring sometimes but the others do sound good
Reply 13
I'd definitely pick maths!! It's very versatile
Just as a warning tho as someone who picked chem and is now suffering at the end of AS - it's not the same as GCSE. Starts off like that then it suddenly gets much more complicated. If you aren't committed with an end goal in mind you might struggle. Depends how much you struggled with GCSE (I got a 6 in my december mock and had to work incredibly hard to get a 9 in the final thing but now it feels like I'm back to square one lol)

I'd recommend bio too! I've loved it so much!

I do politics as well and rlly enjoy it but thats very random ik.

It's always good to have a backup plan if sports don't work out.

from a yr 12, taking all 4 of these
(with a 9 in bio, 9 in chem, 8 in maths)(I add this just to show that doing well in GCSEs unfortunately don't mean A Levels will be the same ☹️ )

BUT ofc if you're determined you can achieve whatever you want out of these exams
Reply 14
Original post by ajhdhd
I'd definitely pick maths!! It's very versatile
Just as a warning tho as someone who picked chem and is now suffering at the end of AS - it's not the same as GCSE. Starts off like that then it suddenly gets much more complicated. If you aren't committed with an end goal in mind you might struggle. Depends how much you struggled with GCSE (I got a 6 in my december mock and had to work incredibly hard to get a 9 in the final thing but now it feels like I'm back to square one lol)
I'd recommend bio too! I've loved it so much!
I do politics as well and rlly enjoy it but thats very random ik.
It's always good to have a backup plan if sports don't work out.
from a yr 12, taking all 4 of these
(with a 9 in bio, 9 in chem, 8 in maths)(I add this just to show that doing well in GCSEs unfortunately don't mean A Levels will be the same ☹️ )
BUT ofc if you're determined you can achieve whatever you want out of these exams

damn you sound really determined, I was thinking of doing chemistry and maths but I know I'm gonna be crying in the second week of sixth form college 😅
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 15
Here are my grades:
PE - 9
Geography - 5
Computing - 3
English - 6 6
Biology - 8
Chemistry - 9
Physics - 8
Maths - 7
I say you should consider doing Biology, Psychology and PE - versatile subjects that you’d probably be good at given your results and if NFL doesn’t work out maybe you can be a sports therapist, a PT, or one of those people who help with rehabilitation! There’s too many options for people into sports! Go after what you want - let no one discourage. Where you’re at now is a testimony of your talents. Trust me. Kill it!
Reply 16
damn you sound really determined, I was thinking of doing chemistry and maths but I know I'm gonna be crying in the second week of sixth form college 😅

Lol the determination has definitely run out. My mocks are in 10 days and I'm rather behind 😭😭

Only reason I'm still going is because I want to get into imperial for biotech, so I need AAA. But want to improve my chances by hopefully getting a few A*s.

This is why I'd recommend having an end goal because otherwise it's hard to find a reason to study.

Definitely go for maths tho, I've enjoyed it so much (apart from stats, stats is gross) and honestly didn't really enjoy GCSE.

And don't let me put you off chem! It's incredibly hard but incredibly rewarding. And honestly is pretty versatile too. A lot of people end up going into finance with these two a levels.
Reply 17
Original post by Ajhdhd
Lol the determination has definitely run out. My mocks are in 10 days and I'm rather behind 😭😭
Only reason I'm still going is because I want to get into imperial for biotech, so I need AAA. But want to improve my chances by hopefully getting a few A*s.
This is why I'd recommend having an end goal because otherwise it's hard to find a reason to study.
Definitely go for maths tho, I've enjoyed it so much (apart from stats, stats is gross) and honestly didn't really enjoy GCSE.
And don't let me put you off chem! It's incredibly hard but incredibly rewarding. And honestly is pretty versatile too. A lot of people end up going into finance with these two a levels.

But also you might just generally find chemistry easier. It clicks for some people.
Genuine question, what do you enjoy?
Reply 19
Original post by quick-smear
Genuine question, what do you enjoy?

Yeah I’d like to know other than PE, what OP enjoys too cuz honestly all A-levels are challenging… liking them is the only thing that makes any of it worthwhile.

Quick Reply