The Student Room Group

NHS Learning Support Fund

I’m wanting to study Speech and Language Therapy at Newcastle starting in September, so I’m applying for the NHS Learning Support Fund as the course is eligible and it’s £5000 extra support that you don’t need to pay back. Now this may sound like a stupid question, but could I potentially use some of that money for things like accommodation costs or things not covered by the maintenance loan? On the NHS website it says it’s just extra support for students, but I feel a bit iffy about using it to maybe apply for a more expensive accommodation. It doesn’t say it’s specifically for one thing, but I just didn’t want to feel like I was cheating them out of money. Like I said this might just be me overthinking as both my parents think it’s fine, but any other input would be great!!
Original post by kea0905
I’m wanting to study Speech and Language Therapy at Newcastle starting in September, so I’m applying for the NHS Learning Support Fund as the course is eligible and it’s £5000 extra support that you don’t need to pay back. Now this may sound like a stupid question, but could I potentially use some of that money for things like accommodation costs or things not covered by the maintenance loan? On the NHS website it says it’s just extra support for students, but I feel a bit iffy about using it to maybe apply for a more expensive accommodation. It doesn’t say it’s specifically for one thing, but I just didn’t want to feel like I was cheating them out of money. Like I said this might just be me overthinking as both my parents think it’s fine, but any other input would be great!!

You are free to use it as you like but a couple of things to consider:

- the payment dates each term are much later than student finance instalments (this year the payment dates were 21 Nov, 19 Mar & 23 Jul), so you might not have the cash when you need to pay your accommodation invoice

- funding additional accommodation for placements outside of your uni location is expensive and my DD has had to use her NHS LSF payments as a float to pay for this upfront, before claiming it back (which can take a while to process)
Reply 2
Original post by kea0905

i have support fund as well.
im assuming they mean it as extra support in education but if they havent specified and you really need it to help cover accom then do as you wish. i wouldnt say get an more expensive accom just because you have that extra money its good to save up
Original post by kea0905

Hi there,

You are able to use the NHS Support Fund in whatever way you would like. The idea of this fund is to help students studying a health care course to afford university with a bit less pressure as usually health care courses can be quite demanding and therefore students studying these course have less time to be able to get and work part time jobs. I have a friend who has used their NHS Support Fund to help buy their uniform but also towards the petrol which they use whilst commuting to university.

I hope this helps 😊
Katie - Student Ambassador

Quick Reply