The Student Room Group

Maintenance

Hi, I wanted to ask if is it possible to get maintenance for distance learning. I have two kids, my older has autism, is really a struggle. He stays just with me, he constantly wants to see me, only I can take him to school and pick him up. If he doesn't see me around he will scream and cry until I come back. Settling to school was a nightmare. I really want to study and do something but in this conditions only distance learning is suitable for me.
Original post by ADT13
Hi, I wanted to ask if is it possible to get maintenance for distance learning. I have two kids, my older has autism, is really a struggle. He stays just with me, he constantly wants to see me, only I can take him to school and pick him up. If he doesn't see me around he will scream and cry until I come back. Settling to school was a nightmare. I really want to study and do something but in this conditions only distance learning is suitable for me.

Hi @ADT13 👋

As far as I'm aware, from the student finance website, you can apply for a tuition fee loan for distance learning, but not a maintenance loan. If you’re a distance learning student, you can only apply for a maintenance loan if you cannot attend your course in person because of a disability. (The assumption is the disability would be your own, not your child's).

They do have an extra help section on the website where you can look into grants or bursaries, things like the Parent's Learning Allowance. I see they have a link to a grant search tool called Turn2us that you answer a few questions based around yourself and your living situation, and it tells you if you're eligible for any grants. It also depends on the type of degree you want to do, as some healthcare degrees you can apply for financial assistance like the NHS Learning Support Fund.

I hope that helps a little. It can be overwhelming planning for the future, and the cost of living is a real concern, but I hope you get the chance to pursue your dreams!

Best wishes,
Essex Student Rep - Hayley
Original post by ADT13

Hi there,

Are you an Open-University student?

Thanks, Ross

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending