The Student Room Group

jekyll and hyde

for the jekyll and hyde question on eng lit paper 1 2024 i linked it to duality and started writing about duality using minor characters like the policeman, danvers carew and the landlady was that a good idea for the question considering it was on fear? i was talking about how stevenson used the idea of duality to create fear and danger or whatever for his victorian audience who would have been against the idea of duality. for my other paragraph i also talked about how stevenson uses duality in jekyll and hydes appearance and i linked this to lombrossos theory to show how that creats horror for his audience who would have not thought that someone who was of the upper classes and was a respectable gentlemen would be a criminal like dr jekyll is. in my other paragraph i also did how stevenson creates fear through mr hyde and the ape like fury thing how he plays on victorians societies fears of atavism to create fear and horror for his audience. for ouside the extract would this be enough for me to get an 8 or a 9 preferably?
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 1
It might have been better to give a few more examples of how the description creates a Gothic atmosphere, causing fear, as well. Did you mention anything other than duality?
Original post by mrs.em
It might have been better to give a few more examples of how the description creates a Gothic atmosphere, causing fear, as well. Did you mention anything other than duality?

no not really tbh i had pre planned duality and all so i didnt prepare much else. in myexctarct paragraphs i used how stevenson uses setting to create horror and uses the fog as a metaphor but that was about it and i said something about utterson but i forgot what i wrote on that but i think it was morerelated to the question. i ran out of time to talk about more things unfortunately🥲
Original post by mrs.em

i remeber the quotes i used tho for elsehwere in the play i used
ape like fury + trampled calmly i think - para 1
smooth faced well made man of fifty + pale and dwarfish + something trogdlodytic + barely human - para 2
flash of odious joy + professional ambition + commingled out of good and evil - para 3
Original post by slitheringfoxes
for the jekyll and hyde question on eng lit paper 1 2024 i linked it to duality and started writing about duality using minor characters like the policeman, danvers carew and the landlady was that a good idea for the question considering it was on fear? i was talking about how stevenson used the idea of duality to create fear and danger or whatever for his victorian audience who would have been against the idea of duality. for my other paragraph i also talked about how stevenson uses duality in jekyll and hydes appearance and i linked this to lombrossos theory to show how that creats horror for his audience who would have not thought that someone who was of the upper classes and was a respectable gentlemen would be a criminal like dr jekyll is. in my other paragraph i also did how stevenson creates fear through mr hyde and the ape like fury thing how he plays on victorians societies fears of atavism to create fear and horror for his audience. for ouside the extract would this be enough for me to get an 8 or a 9 preferably?

Whilst ur context with lombroso is decent, a better AO1/AO3 would be to talk about how Victorians were against duality due to the idea of original sin and how they believed we were born evil and must repress it, though Stevenson presents duality in nature via such things as the full moon
i linked the full moon to the threatening atmosphere since u link it to transformations like a human to a werewolf- jekyll to hyde and is the high point of violence (he kills carew), and the expression of teh evil side of our duality, in the novel.
Also a key thing is the word 'atmosphere' in the question, so it isn't really just about how characters act but the settings and how it symbolises Hyde's presence and even better, his actions. I'm sure what u wrote will be fine, and boundaries are pretty low for english its like 26/30 for a 9 and something like 22/30 for an 8 so i'm sure u will b in there ur ideas seem pretty good.
Original post by KingsleyArtha1
Whilst ur context with lombroso is decent, a better AO1/AO3 would be to talk about how Victorians were against duality due to the idea of original sin and how they believed we were born evil and must repress it, though Stevenson presents duality in nature via such things as the full moon
i linked the full moon to the threatening atmosphere since u link it to transformations like a human to a werewolf- jekyll to hyde and is the high point of violence (he kills carew), and the expression of teh evil side of our duality, in the novel.
Also a key thing is the word 'atmosphere' in the question, so it isn't really just about how characters act but the settings and how it symbolises Hyde's presence and even better, his actions. I'm sure what u wrote will be fine, and boundaries are pretty low for english its like 26/30 for a 9 and something like 22/30 for an 8 so i'm sure u will b in there ur ideas seem pretty good.

ohhh ok thank you very much
Reply 6
Original post by slitheringfoxes
no not really tbh i had pre planned duality and all so i didnt prepare much else. in myexctarct paragraphs i used how stevenson uses setting to create horror and uses the fog as a metaphor but that was about it and i said something about utterson but i forgot what i wrote on that but i think it was morerelated to the question. i ran out of time to talk about more things unfortunately🥲

If you wrote about the setting of the city and the fog, then you've gained marks there. Depending on how you wrote about duality, you have probably got a fair few marks by referring to it as it's such an important theme. Good luck in your other exams.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending