The Student Room Group
Graduation garden party, Queen's University Belfast
Queen's University Belfast

Moving belongings from England to Belfast

Hi!
I’m almost definitely accepting a place at Queens for this year.
I’m wondering how people moved their belongings over if they were coming from England? I’m a mature student so already have some home items, will be bringing them to save buying more over in Belfast (dishes etc) so won’t just be a couple suitcases of clothes that I’m bringing which would be a lot easier!
Is there a recommended company or best way to do this? Is packing in a car and getting a ferry cheaper than shipping? Just worried about how expensive it could be so trying to do some research in advance before accepting the offer.
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 1
I moved the opposite way. I started by carrying a suitcase and rucksack on ferry and train and my parents also kindly couriered a tea chest full of other prized belongings to me. Each trip home I brought more things. Queens and Belfast will be a fab experience!
Graduation garden party, Queen's University Belfast
Queen's University Belfast
Reply 2
Original post by Zarek
I moved the opposite way. I started by carrying a suitcase and rucksack on ferry and train and my parents also kindly couriered a tea chest full of other prized belongings to me. Each trip home I brought more things. Queens and Belfast will be a fab experience!

Thank you for this!
Reply 3
Original post by daisybavage
Hi!
I’m almost definitely accepting a place at Queens for this year.
I’m wondering how people moved their belongings over if they were coming from England? I’m a mature student so already have some home items, will be bringing them to save buying more over in Belfast (dishes etc) so won’t just be a couple suitcases of clothes that I’m bringing which would be a lot easier!
Is there a recommended company or best way to do this? Is packing in a car and getting a ferry cheaper than shipping? Just worried about how expensive it could be so trying to do some research in advance before accepting the offer.

Check out My Baggage, my friend used them when going to study in England. She was moving her stuff from Belfast. They were great and not too expensive.
Reply 4
Original post by EmilyB10
Check out My Baggage, my friend used them when going to study in England. She was moving her stuff from Belfast. They were great and not too expensive.

Thank you!!
You can also post suitcases via Royal Mail, and use their calculator to estimate the cost to do some. They're fairly cheap.

Quick Reply