The Student Room Group

I don't understand the discourse when people ask for more "diverse" universities.

I feel like it's a double standard. When someone asks to find a more "diverse" university, then it's treated like a completely normal thing, whereas when (or if) someone asks to find a more "white"/less diverse university then they get socially crucified.
One side can be argued as racist (saying that you want less of a certain race or that you only want a certain race e.g white (or more commonly I see this mentioned for black people where some say they only want to be in a black majority area at uni), the other one can't, (you're just asking for more diversity in general rather than having favouritism or prejudice towards certain groups) that's the difference.

That being said, I've never cared about diversity when it came to applying for uni, and I don't care about ethnic diversity in general (I'm not bothered when it comes to how ethnically diverse an institution is). I'm more concerned about other factors such a location, course structure, support and facilities available, occasionally cost of living etc
(edited 1 month ago)
I'm white and have never been discriminated against or felt uncomfortable in a situation purely based on my skin colour so I can absolutely see why others who may have been want to know the situation beforehand.

And as I've never been made to feel that way me asking that question the other way round is a non starter, why would I even care?

I think it's completely understandable why anyone who may be in the minority whether it's because of race, religion, age, disability or anything else would want to ask the question tbh.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
I feel like it's a double standard. When someone asks to find a more "diverse" university, then it's treated like a completely normal thing, whereas when (or if) someone asks to find a more "white"/less diverse university then they get socially crucified.

Only one is willful ignorance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending