The Student Room Group

late university submission but proof of technological difficulties

i submitted my dissertation today at university one minute late. i attempted to submit around 15 minutes before the deadline but my laptop did not allow me to convert my word document to a pdf, which i screenshotted this error message.
next, i tried to just submit my dissertation as a word document but my university did not accept this type of file to be uploaded. i screenshotted this error message too.

then, within the deadline (around 10 minutes before) i emailed my dissertation supervisor and module leader with these screenshots along with my dissertation word document attached, proving i attempted to submit within the deadline, and had finished before deadlines by including my file in this email.

i eventually managed to submit my dissertation through emailing it to another computer, converting it into a pdf on there, and emailing it back before downloading and submitting this pdf.

this caused my submission to be one minute late, however with the evidence of technological difficulties provided, would i still get a late penalty?
Original post by Anonymous
i submitted my dissertation today at university one minute late. i attempted to submit around 15 minutes before the deadline but my laptop did not allow me to convert my word document to a pdf, which i screenshotted this error message.
next, i tried to just submit my dissertation as a word document but my university did not accept this type of file to be uploaded. i screenshotted this error message too.

then, within the deadline (around 10 minutes before) i emailed my dissertation supervisor and module leader with these screenshots along with my dissertation word document attached, proving i attempted to submit within the deadline, and had finished before deadlines by including my file in this email.

i eventually managed to submit my dissertation through emailing it to another computer, converting it into a pdf on there, and emailing it back before downloading and submitting this pdf.

this caused my submission to be one minute late, however with the evidence of technological difficulties provided, would i still get a late penalty?

Which uni?
So, in my third year of Uni or even my masters I remember one of the 'cool' professors telling us that the late submission deadline only applies an hour (may be more may be less can't remember specifics) and that you wont be penalized if you submitted a few mins late, I don't know if that't true but he was a senior lecturer within the university. During Covid all my tests and assignments were online and during second year, when everyone in the module (70+ students) tried submitting their test at the same time, the system crashed, and wouldn't allow people to submit the test for 2 mins before the deadline, and then only allowed us to submit after the deadline, but it also prevented you from submitting.
The university accepted everyone's late submission if they showed evidence of them attempting to submit 2 or 1 min before the deadline.
However, in instances such as yours, the Uni could be ***** and say you should have converted it way before the deadline or used a univeristy computer blah blah. But I think they may be lenient, it was after all a system error and not you being lazy and forgetting about the deadline.
Reply 3
Original post by DataVenia
Which uni?

university of Liverpool!
Original post by Anonymous
university of Liverpool!

Thanks. I'd take a read of this web page. It confirms that you won't be able to claim Exceptional Circumstances as "Errors with your computer close to a submission deadline" is specifically excluded as an exceptional circumstance.

Instead, you may want to look at Exemption from Late Penalties, which are normally "5% of the total marks available will be deducted for each day (or part of the day) after the deadline" (my emphasis). There is a form here to complete, but check with your school/department the process you should follow.

Note that they say, "For the academic session 2023/24, you will be able to request Exemption from Late Penalties without supporting evidence on two occasions (an occasion relates to a single submission or assessment) across the academic year."

You should submit the form "at the same time as the late coursework, or at the earliest opportunity thereafter".

I would contact your Dissertation Supervisor and Module Leader again and ask the specific question about whether you need to complete an Exemption from Late Penalties form to avoid a late penalty.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending