The Student Room Group

Access to He courses

Hiii I’m thinking of studying an access to he course but I don’t know what company to go with has anyone had any personal experiences they’d be happy to share :smile:
A local college, learn direct etc do not take part in the advanced learner loan scheme. You can get it for free if you complete an undergraduate degree.
Original post by Liaaa06
Hiii I’m thinking of studying an access to he course but I don’t know what company to go with has anyone had any personal experiences they’d be happy to share :smile:

@Liaaa06
The key things to look out for is that the course is fully accredited by an awarding body, in the north west it is Open Awards.

I have taught Access to HE in a further education college for 10 years and there are major advantages to onsite learning rather than studying online. 1 2 1 tutoring really helps learners, plus on site programs usually have academic tutorials to support you, plus they will usually help with your UCAS application for University.

A big advantage of Access to HE is that you can get the Advanced Learner Loan which means, if you meet the criteria, your years study on Access is written off when you complete your degree.

What are you thinking of studying?

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
Reply 3
Original post by Arden University
@Liaaa06
The key things to look out for is that the course is fully accredited by an awarding body, in the north west it is Open Awards.
I have taught Access to HE in a further education college for 10 years and there are major advantages to onsite learning rather than studying online. 1 2 1 tutoring really helps learners, plus on site programs usually have academic tutorials to support you, plus they will usually help with your UCAS application for University.
A big advantage of Access to HE is that you can get the Advanced Learner Loan which means, if you meet the criteria, your years study on Access is written off when you complete your degree.
What are you thinking of studying?
Marc

Hi I’m only 17 but I work full time so I will be paying for it as I don’t meet the criteria and I’m thinking of studying business I’m currently looking at academy online Learning :smile:
Original post by Liaaa06
Hi I’m only 17 but I work full time so I will be paying for it as I don’t meet the criteria and I’m thinking of studying business I’m currently looking at academy online Learning :smile:

@Liaaa06
I personally, would dissuade anyone under 19 from doing Access as it is designed for mature adult learners, in the FE college where I work we used to take 18 year olds but we stopped doing it as they all dropped out as it was too much to do, it is like 3 A levels squashed into one year

Marc
Original post by Arden University
@Liaaa06
I personally, would dissuade anyone under 19 from doing Access as it is designed for mature adult learners, in the FE college where I work we used to take 18 year olds but we stopped doing it as they all dropped out as it was too much to do, it is like 3 A levels squashed into one year
Marc

Wow if students dropped out at 18 due to the workload,how do the mature students juggling work and studies cope?

If anything I would have thought that younger students (probably still under their parents)would be better suited for it.

Just wondering, do u know of any students who went on to read law at uni after an access course during ur time teaching such a programme?
Original post by ImmortalSnail20
Wow if students dropped out at 18 due to the workload,how do the mature students juggling work and studies cope?
If anything I would have thought that younger students (probably still under their parents)would be better suited for it.
Just wondering, do u know of any students who went on to read law at uni after an access course during ur time teaching such a programme?

@Liaaa06
We dropped our law pathway in about 2015 when the Government were doing major cuts to F.E colleges, that and media went straight away. Some certainly did progress but I didn't teach in that area, was a really popular course though.

Students with a bit more life experience have tended to do better on Access because they have more experience of things like time management because they often have a job and or children. The average age of my nursing students is usually about 23-24, but I've had some as young as 19, some as old as early 50's. We were encouraged by senior managers (at the FE college where I work, not Arden where I studied) one year to take on three 18 year olds one year, and they were all gone by the end of November

Marc

Quick Reply