The Student Room Group

Help

I am a second year BSc physics with data science student. I am interested in becoming either a data analyst/scientist accountant or an actuarial science. I really like quant roles as I like to work with data and numbers and do coding.

I am particularly interested in accounting, how do I become one after I graduate? I know there are trainee accountant roles through which graduates complete professional exams while they work...but let's assume I get a minimum 2:1, how do I compete against accounting or finance graduates if my degree is unrelated? I know my degree is still maths heavy and I took every single maths and data science elective, but I have zero finance knowledge, which is lame if compared to an actual accounting graduate.
Reply 1
Finance recruiters actually go for STEM grads over even accountants honestly. Why accounting though? You can go on to build a solid portfolio of different financial models/projects using the data science knowledge that comes with the degree to show genuine interest and your capabilities. Put a link of it on the CV and any bank would be happy to see it. You will have to crack the technical rounds so maybe go for FRM rather than CA because it aligns really well with your quant background and it is quite high in demand. Or Actuary. There is a huge shortage of them.
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 2
Not having an accounting degree is not an issue at all. Do make sure that you understand what accounting careers entail - both for yourself and for presenting your interest at interview.

There isn’t a lot of maths in accounting in general. The normal requirement is something like a grade B at gcse maths to give a little context.
Reply 3
Original post by ajj2000
Not having an accounting degree is not an issue at all. Do make sure that you understand what accounting careers entail - both for yourself and for presenting your interest at interview.
There isn’t a lot of maths in accounting in general. The normal requirement is something like a grade B at gcse maths to give a little context.

I think my grades are fine since I achieved A* in my A-Level Maths an 8 in GCSE Maths so if you are right my main issue would be to be able to show genuine understanding and interest in accounting during the interview. What is the best thing to do to show my interest for the profession? I am in my second year so I feel it is too late to apply for accounting internships. Will starting to study for one of the ACCA exams over this summer before applying for any accounting grad scheme be enough to convincingly show genuine interest?
Reply 4
Original post by ashfak.
I think my grades are fine since I achieved A* in my A-Level Maths an 8 in GCSE Maths so if you are right my main issue would be to be able to show genuine understanding and interest in accounting during the interview. What is the best thing to do to show my interest for the profession? I am in my second year so I feel it is too late to apply for accounting internships. Will starting to study for one of the ACCA exams over this summer before applying for any accounting grad scheme be enough to convincingly show genuine interest?

Are you doing a 3 or 4 year degree? I wouldn't do an ACCA exam. It will never help and may be an issue in some edge cases.

What were you planning to do over the summer? What work experience (such as restaurant, fast food, supermarket work) do you have?
Reply 5
Original post by ajj2000
Are you doing a 3 or 4 year degree? I wouldn't do an ACCA exam. It will never help and may be an issue in some edge cases.
What were you planning to do over the summer? What work experience (such as restaurant, fast food, supermarket work) do you have?

I am in my second year of my three year programme, I will be in my final year this September. I was initially planning to do a summer internship but got unlucky with my applications, I still have some chance as there are some positions which were recently promoted by my uni (I am interested in the data analysis roles). In terms of work experience, I worked as a GCSE tutor since I started uni and last year I had an unpaid consultancy internship which was run by my university. I will keep working as a tutor this summer and grab any internship opportunities and do some data science projects to add in my portfolio (data science is still in the back of my mind as a career after all it is one of the career options I find interesting with accounting and actuary), I am not sure what else I could do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending