The Student Room Group

Pressure to get a new job.

Hi everyone,

Im 28 (F) and have been working in the Civil Service at EO level for 2.5 years now.

I have a Masters Degree in Public Health and I have been applying for jobs on and off for 2 years. More senior roles.

I am receiving pressure from colleagues and my sister to get a higher paying job. Currently, I am on 34k.

I am trying my best but I just cannot get an interview.

I have spent a year on my CV and application writing skills prior to getting the job which took me 8 months to get.

I graduated when COVID started. Is it the job market or is it me?

I cant help but feel like I am supposed to be at a job paying ยฃ50k plus at my age.

I would like to start a family in a few years and theres pressure not being complacent at my current job.

Some sound advice would be much appreciated ๐Ÿ’‹
Reply 1
Original post by Girlpop95
Hi everyone,
Im 28 (F) and have been working in the Civil Service at EO level for 2.5 years now.
I have a Masters Degree in Public Health and I have been applying for jobs on and off for 2 years. More senior roles.
I am receiving pressure from colleagues and my sister to get a higher paying job. Currently, I am on 34k.
I am trying my best but I just cannot get an interview.
I have spent a year on my CV and application writing skills prior to getting the job which took me 8 months to get.
I graduated when COVID started. Is it the job market or is it me?
I cant help but feel like I am supposed to be at a job paying ยฃ50k plus at my age.
I would like to start a family in a few years and theres pressure not being complacent at my current job.
Some sound advice would be much appreciated ๐Ÿ’‹

There is a lot involved in moving to the next rung of the ladder and many reasons why people struggle (skills, experience, marketing, right fit, personality, the list is long)

There are websites that give you a lot of good advice, which you can find if you search.

Recruitment consultants might be willing to have a conversation with you for free, after all, they are the first barrier you have to pass.

There are careers consultants who can also help give you an overhaul. Try to access a mentor etc.

Also, remember, a civil service job offers a 27% non contributory pension, so your 34k is actually 43k in the private sector. Plus, the commercial sector working conditions are very different to the state, work life balance is very skewed.

So, beware of people telling you about the grass being greener on the other side. Make sure it is what you want and explore career progression where you are as well as looking elsewhere.

Good luck!
Reply 2
After 2.5 years as an EO, you may be ready for a HEO role that will pay 5k more.

You can apply for an EOI role to boost your competency. You can apply for the Fast Stream.

You cam apply for EO development / leadership programmes that are specifically designed in the CS to help with promotions.

You will be lucky to find a private sector organisation that contributes more than 5-10% towards your pension, that offers hybrid working, flexi working, etc.
Reply 3
By the way, you have emphasised why you and others feel you need extra pay, including your age and to cover the cost of children.

You have not mentioned any skills development, leadership skills, achievements, extra responsibilities, qualifications, CPD etc that demonstrate you are ready for a more senior role.

You may have also worked on these areas instead of CV/job applications skills so apologies if this is the case.
Reply 4
Original post by RM-UK
There is a lot involved in moving to the next rung of the ladder and many reasons why people struggle (skills, experience, marketing, right fit, personality, the list is long)
There are websites that give you a lot of good advice, which you can find if you search.
Recruitment consultants might be willing to have a conversation with you for free, after all, they are the first barrier you have to pass.
There are careers consultants who can also help give you an overhaul. Try to access a mentor etc.
Also, remember, a civil service job offers a 27% non contributory pension, so your 34k is actually 43k in the private sector. Plus, the commercial sector working conditions are very different to the state, work life balance is very skewed.
So, beware of people telling you about the grass being greener on the other side. Make sure it is what you want and explore career progression where you are as well as looking elsewhere.
Good luck!
Hello ๐Ÿ™‚ thank you so much for answering my question. Please can you explain what you meant by "Also, remember, a civil service job offers a 27% noncontributory pension, so your 34k is actually 43k in the private sector."

Cos I am paying into my pension.

Are you saying that "technically - my salary is 43k but as I pay into my pension it's 34k?"

Thank you ever so much for your sound advice.
Hello ๐Ÿ™‚ thank you so much for answering my question. Please can you explain what you meant by "Also, remember, a civil service job offers a 27% noncontributory pension, so your 34k is actually 43k in the private sector."

Are you saying that "technically - my salary is 43k but as I pay into my pension it's 34k?"

I believe they mean in order to be getting similar amounts of money being contributed to your pension in the private sector, you would have to be earning that higher amount. So your value for money is much greater in your current role.
Reply 6
Original post by Compyjo
After 2.5 years as an EO, you may be ready for a HEO role that will pay 5k more.
You can apply for an EOI role to boost your competency. You can apply for the Fast Stream.
You cam apply for EO development / leadership programmes that are specifically designed in the CS to help with promotions.
You will be lucky to find a private sector organisation that contributes more than 5-10% towards your pension, that offers hybrid working, flexi working, etc.
Hey there! Thank you so much for your response!

Yes I am up for HEO, just not in my current department. I am waiting for the right role, essentially and making sure it's permanent and ideally, hybrid.

A colleague told me that she had no qualifications but is in the same job as me getting the same pay when in fact I could be getting paid double what I am earning now. But the lady is in her 40's.

We are in an entirely different generation. In her day, she didn't have to so situational judgement or psychometric tests before getting the job. She just had one interview and that was that.

I had to apply twice. First time was a 9 month fixed term contract and second time was permanent, The entire process was undeniably demoralising.

I can't help but feel a bit stuck as I am feeling pressure to leave my current job but the job I genuinely want isn't available to begin with. At least not yet.

Thankyouu for your help!
Reply 7
Original post by Compyjo
By the way, you have emphasised why you and others feel you need extra pay, including your age and to cover the cost of children.
You have not mentioned any skills development, leadership skills, achievements, extra responsibilities, qualifications, CPD etc that demonstrate you are ready for a more senior role.
You may have also worked on these areas instead of CV/job applications skills so apologies if this is the case.
Hi,

Thanks for your response - but I believe in my capabilities. I have the qualifications and an ample amount of experience under my belt but not 5 years work in one area. But a plethora of transferable skills and voluntary work.

I am trying my best. But it's just not happening yet.

I mentioned about family and age cos to me - im a logical person. In this economy/job market. I can't job hop without a prospect that is paying significantly higher than what I am earning now.

Ideally, I would like to elevate in my career so I can comfortably take care of a future family and still maintain a good quality of life.

Thanks for your response.
Reply 8

You probably contribute about 5% of your salary to your pension. The government then contributes an extra 27% of your salary to your pension.

To make the same pension contribution in the private sector (unheard of), you would need to earn 27% more, which takes your 34k salary to 43k. This will give you a very comfortable pension.

Also, the government is an excellent employer. If you choose to have children, you will have the option to go part time and request flexible working, with minimal fuss. All that is much more difficult in the commercial sector.
Reply 9
Original post by artful_lounger
I believe they mean in order to be getting similar amounts of money being contributed to your pension in the private sector, you would have to be earning that higher amount. So your value for money is much greater in your current role.
Hi there,

Thankyouu for clearing that up for me. ๐Ÿ™‚
Reply 10
If it's just higher salary then the quickest way to earn more money is to bunny hop salary as you move from one job to another, say 10k at a time. As someone who has done this, it does work.

I would say, it's fine if you're planning to have a nanny, but the more you earn the more difficult it is to give that salary up when you do have kids.

Good that you are thinking about this all.
Reply 11
Original post by RM-UK
You probably contribute about 5% of your salary to your pension. The government then contributes an extra 27% of your salary to your pension.
To make the same pension contribution in the private sector (unheard of), you would need to earn 27% more, which takes your 34k salary to 43k. This will give you a very comfortable pension.
Also, the government is an excellent employer. If you choose to have children, you will have the option to go part time and request flexible working, with minimal fuss. All that is much more difficult in the commercial sector.
Hello ๐Ÿ™‚ thank you so much for your response.

I appreciate it.

Yes I agree with you. There is no genuine rush to leave my current job, however... its not nice when other people are pressuring you to move forward.

I can't just "jump ship" or "job hop every 2 years". I want financial security.

Moreover, I genuinely feel less inclined to change roles so fast due to this current role taking 8 months to obtain.

Do I like my job... yes.

Is it my dream job. Far from it.

Also, I don't like the people I work with. The environment is very toxic.

But - I would still be open to staying within government but looking for a role on my terms and in my own time.

I just don't understand where the external pressure is coming from especially in this current climate with lack of job security.

It was really traumatic for me to finish a Masters and not get a job until 8 months later. I felt a complete failure. So for me to get a new job right away - it has to be 10 times better than what I am doing currently.

Thankyouuu for your help.
Reply 12
Hello ๐Ÿ™‚ thank you so much for your response.
I appreciate it.
Yes I agree with you. There is no genuine rush to leave my current job, however... its not nice when other people are pressuring you to move forward.
I can't just "jump ship" or "job hop every 2 years". I want financial security.
Moreover, I genuinely feel less inclined to change roles so fast due to this current role taking 8 months to obtain.
Do I like my job... yes.
Is it my dream job. Far from it.
Also, I don't like the people I work with. The environment is very toxic.
But - I would still be open to staying within government but looking for a role on my terms and in my own time.
I just don't understand where the external pressure is coming from especially in this current climate with lack of job security.
It was really traumatic for me to finish a Masters and not get a job until 8 months later. I felt a complete failure. So for me to get a new job right away - it has to be 10 times better than what I am doing currently.
Thankyouuu for your help.

I understand.

People can talk a lot about and make recommendations about things they know very little about. So, do take what they say with a pinch of salt.

It's your career, you make the decisions. People can mean well, tell them you have a plan and then ask them about how their job is and when they're going to move? ๐Ÿ˜‰
Reply 13
Original post by RM-UK
I understand.
People can talk a lot about and make recommendations about things they know very little about. So, do take what they say with a pinch of salt.
It's your career, you make the decisions. People can mean well, tell them you have a plan and then ask them about how their job is and when they're going to move? ๐Ÿ˜‰
Honestly!

I just couldn't dictate or tell someone to leave their job and find a new one unless they complained about it so often to the point of which it becomes unnecessary and unbearable.

I understand that due to having a masters, people are expecting me/encouraging me to move forward.

But I am a logical person and the right opportunity - just has not presented itself to me yet.

I am not applying for HEO at my current role as the people who got that post, only got it because they are friends with the SEO. Promotion in my office is based on nepotism, not merit and I feel its best to be strategic with my career moves.. as and when I feel I am ready to truly move on.

Again, you have been very helpful and reassuring at a time where I am feeling lost.

Thank you!

Quick Reply