The Student Room Group

completely lost all motivation after exam

I had my geography paper 1 (edexcel) this morning - an exam I revised particularly hard for. The questions were not actually that terrible (although some were quite unusual), but for some reason I just answered them horribly - I managed to misread the question for one of 12 markers as well as an 8 marker - I only noticed for the 8 marker at the end and as I began to rewrite it I ran out of time.

Now I have no motivation for a levels at all - I can't express how hard I worked and prepared for that exam, and in just 2 hours I feel like i've thrown away 2 years of work - what made it worse was all the comments of people walking out the exam talking about how brilliant the questions are and how easy they found the exam.

I have my next exam on Tuesday, but I have completely lost any motivation to revise. Sorry for posting all of this, just wanted to see if anyone is feeling the same way.
Reply 1
Original post by gayspace
I had my geography paper 1 (edexcel) this morning - an exam I revised particularly hard for. The questions were not actually that terrible (although some were quite unusual), but for some reason I just answered them horribly - I managed to misread the question for one of 12 markers as well as an 8 marker - I only noticed for the 8 marker at the end and as I began to rewrite it I ran out of time.
Now I have no motivation for a levels at all - I can't express how hard I worked and prepared for that exam, and in just 2 hours I feel like i've thrown away 2 years of work - what made it worse was all the comments of people walking out the exam talking about how brilliant the questions are and how easy they found the exam.
I have my next exam on Tuesday, but I have completely lost any motivation to revise. Sorry for posting all of this, just wanted to see if anyone is feeling the same way.

One bad paper (you don't know for sure) will not ruin anything. If you stop trying, then you scupper yourself. No one in your exam knows how they have done; it's how they feel (they could be totally wrong, so could you).

Some people fear failure, so they don't try, which means they can say they didn't really try. Trying and failing or, more realistically, not getting exactly what you wanted is harder and something you should be proud of. Success is about working through challenges, not always having everything go your way.

You've worked hard for 2 years, you now have a few weeks left; the last leg!

You are feeling a little burnt out, which is understandable! Take a day off. Go and do something to recharge your batteries: go bowling with your family; a bike ride and a picnic with friends; a day at the beach; crazy golf with your siblings; something that will get you out, movi g and make you laugh.

Then the next day, do dome timed essays or past paper.

Keep going. 🙌

same ☹️ !!!! im resitting my a levels this year and i understood the questions but my essay structure was just so bad that ive really limited my marks, i was really upset for a day or two after but feel okay now there's always more papers to get the lost marks back on!! you'll be okay xx
(edited 3 weeks ago)

I think the fact you revised so hard meant you had high expectations of yourself and that you felt disappointed because you don't feel you reached those high expectations. Try not to have high expectations and don't put pressure on yourself, you need a relaxed and controlled mindset in order to be at your best. Revise not with urgency, but with confidence and perhaps vigor. Put a positive spin on exams and you may find you perform a lot better. People often think exams are intimidating and stressful, but that's because we've made them this way. Exams are simply tests of knowledge, so treat them more like a quiz. I know people want access to the best colleges and universities, but dang they don't do themselves any favours mentally putting all the stress on themselves. Exams aren't worth stressing over, life is about living and ceasing the moments, not about worrying that you didn't get a certain letter pop up on a piece of paper.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending