The Student Room Group

Can I appeal my AQA A-Level photography result?

I am doing AQA A-Level photography, and I am considered by everyone in my class, including the teachers as one of the best photographers there. The most recent predicted grade for me is an E. The average predicted grade for everyone doing this course in my school is a low D / high E (1 A*, 1 C, 7 Es). I spoke to my friends who do art with the same teachers and they have a low average too. And I compared my work to the Grade A, B, C and D examples the teachers gave, and I think I'm a B.

So, am I able to appeal the results or the marks on results day?
Reply 1
Original post by marek-w
I am doing AQA A-Level photography, and I am considered by everyone in my class, including the teachers as one of the best photographers there. The most recent predicted grade for me is an E. The average predicted grade for everyone doing this course in my school is a low D / high E (1 A*, 1 C, 7 Es). I spoke to my friends who do art with the same teachers and they have a low average too. And I compared my work to the Grade A, B, C and D examples the teachers gave, and I think I'm a B.
So, am I able to appeal the results or the marks on results day?

You can always get A levels remarked, so no problem there.

However, it is important to understand why you have been given this grade and what you can do to bridge the gap. If you are year 12 and you are being graded against final exam criteria, that is different to being in year 13 and you have just completed your final exam recently.

Also, remember that A level Photography is not just about taking a photograph. It is about producing a body of work (2 portfolios) in response to the stimuli you have been given, which includes demonstration of having researched various photographers, exploring different techniques (physical and digital), experimenting, progression and development (ideas and skills), and final outcomes with a time constraint (this is your 15 hour exam). Also, showing an understanding of the technical aspect of photography (ISO, depth of field, shutter speed etc.).
Reply 2
Original post by RM-UK
You can always get A levels remarked, so no problem there.
However, it is important to understand why you have been given this grade and what you can do to bridge the gap. If you are year 12 and you are being graded against final exam criteria, that is different to being in year 13 and you have just completed your final exam recently.
Also, remember that A level Photography is not just about taking a photograph. It is about producing a body of work (2 portfolios) in response to the stimuli you have been given, which includes demonstration of having researched various photographers, exploring different techniques (physical and digital), experimenting, progression and development (ideas and skills), and final outcomes with a time constraint (this is your 15 hour exam). Also, showing an understanding of the technical aspect of photography (ISO, depth of field, shutter speed etc.).

I'm in year 13 and the teachers steered me away from my intentions (please tell me how I ended up doing Jesus from light and shadow). I have also shown research, explored different techniques, experimented and progressed. My development and final outcome wasn't great but it's good enough to not be an E or D. And throughout the two years I've been doing this course I have shown a better understanding in the technical aspect than my teachers, and the teachers even came to me for help sometimes. So I guess I'll see what result I get and if it's a low grade I'll consider getting it re-marked.
Reply 3
Original post by marek-w
I'm in year 13 and the teachers steered me away from my intentions (please tell me how I ended up doing Jesus from light and shadow). I have also shown research, explored different techniques, experimented and progressed. My development and final outcome wasn't great but it's good enough to not be an E or D. And throughout the two years I've been doing this course I have shown a better understanding in the technical aspect than my teachers, and the teachers even came to me for help sometimes. So I guess I'll see what result I get and if it's a low grade I'll consider getting it re-marked.

I loved the light and dark stimuli, lots of scope!

Your teachers award the mark, the exam board determine the grade boundaries. Fingers crossed and remark is there as backup.

NOTE: There is a time limit for remarks, quite short, so be ready to complete the paperwork as soon as you get your grade with your exams officer at school.
Reply 4
Original post by marek-w

In the email from your teacher/school, you should have been told about the deadline for appealing the decision. Students in one school I know had 3 business days to request an external assessment (£50).

Read your email, check with your school and arrange this straight away (if you want to remarking).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending