The Student Room Group

Can I do a psychology apprenticeship instead of a levels?

Is a psychology apprenticeship as opposed to sixth form? I've seen psychology degree apprenticeships that you can do instead of university but none for sixth form so I'm just wondering if you can even do them for clinical psychology. This is mainly because I'm finding psychology in sixth form quite difficult and content heavy and I think I'd find it easier in a more practical environment. If that isn't possible in order to get a job in clinical psychology then could anyone suggest any alternatives for this?
Reply 1
Original post by cheesybugger76
Is a psychology apprenticeship as opposed to sixth form? I've seen psychology degree apprenticeships that you can do instead of university but none for sixth form so I'm just wondering if you can even do them for clinical psychology. This is mainly because I'm finding psychology in sixth form quite difficult and content heavy and I think I'd find it easier in a more practical environment. If that isn't possible in order to get a job in clinical psychology then could anyone suggest any alternatives for this?

To become a clinical psychologist, you don't just need an undergraduate degree in psychology, you need a doctorate in clinical psychology (DClinPsy). If you are struggling with psychology in sixth form, this may be a sign that a career in psychology may not be for you. Clinical psychology is no easier than what you are doing right now and moving to a practical environment will require you to have the theoretical knowledge for you to carry out your role well. You cannot go into a psychology apprenticeship instead of sixth form. If you want to go into a psychology apprenticeship, the only ones that I know of are degree apprenticeships. University of Exeter and University of Reading offer an integrated masters course (MSci) in psychology that allows you to qualify as a psychological wellbeing practitioner after completing your undergraduate degree. Alternatively, you could do a degree in something else and do a clinical associate in psychology apprenticeship or complete a conversion degree in psychology. I would say that if you are struggling with the A level content and don't enjoy it, it's likely that you won't enjoy further study or a career in psychology. You may want to do more research into alternative routes. If you still want to work in mental health, there are other roles you could go into, such as mental health nursing, psychiatry (if you are okay with going to medical school), social work and education.
Technically you are not wrong. The DClinPsy is an apprenticeship route where you are trained in a work setting, learn the practical skills of being a clinical psychologist, are paid and learn alongside it. The only issue it is at doctoral level and only accessible after you do your traditional undergraduate degree, (and do better than most others).

If you aren't academic, you may be better off down the health related vocational route around care. In the NHS there are a range of vocational apprenticeships for people at various levels: https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/career-planning/study-and-training/nhs-apprenticeships/nhs-apprenticeships-see-what-you-could-do

There are also vocational routes in social care too outside the NHS, which are worth looking at. The more obvious high profile jobs such as medical doctor, psychologist, dentist are very, very academic and require degrees (and more), but there are a range of lesser known but rewarding posts, which you can build a career around, that you can do after GCSEs. The Health and care Services in some cities have kiosks around recruitment and if you can find one near you, it's worth checking out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending