The Student Room Group

Should I do AS Further Maths in Year 13?

I’m currently in year 12 working at a low grade B at the moment and I’m wondering if I could realistically do AS further next year and get a B/A?

I’m most likely going to be doing an EPQ as well and I have coursework for computer science so i’m not sure if on top of that it will be too much?

Thanks
Reply 1
If you have a lot of extra time on your hands at the moment, then it might be possible. It would be slightly easier than if you did it this year because there is some overlap with normal maths, but there is still a lot of new content which is quite difficult and will take a lot of time to learn. If you are doing an EPQ anyway, there would probably be little benefit when it comes to uni, unless you're planning on doing a maths related subject there. Really I wouldn't recommend it unless you have a lot of headroom in terms of revision time, as it would take away a lot of time that you could otherwise use for your main subjects.
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 2
Original post by plenka
If you have a lot o extra time on your hands at the moment, then it might be possible. It would be slightly easier than if you did it this year because there is some overlap with normal maths, but there is still a lot of new content which is quite difficult and will take a lot of time to learn. If you are doing an EPQ anyway, there would probably be little benefit when it comes to uni, unless you're planning on doing a maths related subject there. Really I wouldn't recommend it unless you have a lot of headroom in terms of revision time, as it would take away a lot of time that you could otherwise use for your main subjects.

Thank you, this is really helpful

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending