The Student Room Group

Work Placement vs Internship

How difficult is it to get a business summer internship in London as an international student (though | have UK citizenship) compared to a year-long work placement?

Several universities that I am looking at do not offer placement year programs, so I would need to do an internship.
Original post by GlobalStudent12
How difficult is it to get a business summer internship in London as an international student (though | have UK citizenship) compared to a year-long work placement?
Several universities that I am looking at do not offer placement year programs, so I would need to do an internship.

Hi @GlobalStudent12

I don't study business, but I've recently been looking for placements and internships myself.

From experience so far, I've found it easier to find advertisements for short term internships and have had more replies for shorter internships. I think a lot of companies don't always want to have students for a longer time period as it can be more impactful to their business, which is why shorter internships are easier to come by.

However, I've also found adverts for year long placements, or have reached out speculatively to companies about a work placement. There are definitely some great ones out there, but they're not as common.

As you're thinking about a shorter term internship, I think you should be okay in securing some work. I would recommend to start looking and applying as soon as you can, as the selection process from employers can sometimes be lengthy or delayed, so it's good to get yourself ahead. I can't speak for business internships specifically, but I've found most of mine online - LinkedIn, Indeed, company websites and social media pages. And I've also contacted companies with my CV to see if they'd be willing to offer some work experience.

Hope your search is going well! And please ask any more questions. :smile:

Emily
Student Rep at BCU

Quick Reply