The Student Room Group

Road to Clinical Psychologist

Hey! I applied to uni for psychology with counselling with a foundation year - because I haven’t done psychology before and would be more comfortable doing a foundation year. I was wondering whether I can go into clinical psychology with that… or would I have to do psychology with neuroscience (with foundation year)? I read on the gov.uk website and it said that I could go into it with any psychology degree but I want to be 100% sure. Thank you!
Reply 1
Original post by mds0306
Hey! I applied to uni for psychology with counselling with a foundation year - because I haven’t done psychology before and would be more comfortable doing a foundation year. I was wondering whether I can go into clinical psychology with that… or would I have to do psychology with neuroscience (with foundation year)? I read on the gov.uk website and it said that I could go into it with any psychology degree but I want to be 100% sure. Thank you!

As long as your degree is BPS accredited, yes. It won't be as simple as just graduating and becoming a clinical psychologist though - you'll need a doctorate in clinical psychology (DClinPsy) and to get onto this programme, typically you'll need at least 12 months full time work experience in a clinically relevant role. Examples of this that don't require further qualifications are becoming an assistant psychologist, mental health support worker or research psychologist. Examples that would require further qualifications after completing your undergraduate degree can include becoming a psychological wellbeing practitioner (PWP) or a children's wellbeing practitioner (CWP). You should use the BPS website as a more detailed guide, as this is the board you will be accredited by if you pursue any sort of career in psychology.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending