The Student Room Group

jekyll + hyde

i have a question , basically in the edexcel examboard there is no context for jekyll and hyde , if i link it to one of my points will i lose marks?
Reply 1
Original post by user908472
i have a question , basically in the edexcel examboard there is no context for jekyll and hyde , if i link it to one of my points will i lose marks?

talk about victorian gentlemen
Reply 2
Original post by user908472

Well, if it isn't on the specification, then examiners can't give you any marks for it, but you won't LOSE marks on it
Reply 3
Context: Robert Louis Stevenson o Health problems o Born in Edinburgh into rich family Two sides: o London/Edinburgh: respectable side vs. dodgy side o Burke and Hare: navvies by day, body snatchers by night o Jack the Ripper: murdered/mutilated prostitutes rumoured respectable by day, killer by night Darwin: SIMILAR TO JEKYYL (SCIENTIST DISCOVERS SOMETHING CONTROVERSIAL) o Descent of Man and Origin of Species o Proposed controversial theory of evolution which was outrageous to most religious Victorians o Hyde is presented as an ape-like man (troglodytic/bestial terms) o Because Jekyll devolves into him, idea that if man evolved from ape, can there be an Hyde-like animal within us beast within man Victorian Age and Values: o Civilised/reputable/repressed o Industrial Revolution period of rapid change fear of the unknown = RLS uses this to inflict fear o Reputation and status is priority society based off appearance Gothic novel: MODERN No reader distance from the horrors FEAR Draw on science rather than superstition MORE BELIEVABLE FEAR Draw on the possible rather than the absurd (monsters) TRUE FEAR Emphasis of horror IN us/ rather than in a distant place (externally)
Reply 4
this is some of the pieces of context you can use
Original post by asabboor
Context: Robert Louis Stevenson o Health problems o Born in Edinburgh into rich family Two sides: o London/Edinburgh: respectable side vs. dodgy side o Burke and Hare: navvies by day, body snatchers by night o Jack the Ripper: murdered/mutilated prostitutes rumoured respectable by day, killer by night Darwin: SIMILAR TO JEKYYL (SCIENTIST DISCOVERS SOMETHING CONTROVERSIAL) o Descent of Man and Origin of Species o Proposed controversial theory of evolution which was outrageous to most religious Victorians o Hyde is presented as an ape-like man (troglodytic/bestial terms) o Because Jekyll devolves into him, idea that if man evolved from ape, can there be an Hyde-like animal within us beast within man Victorian Age and Values: o Civilised/reputable/repressed o Industrial Revolution period of rapid change fear of the unknown = RLS uses this to inflict fear o Reputation and status is priority society based off appearance Gothic novel: MODERN No reader distance from the horrors FEAR Draw on science rather than superstition MORE BELIEVABLE FEAR Draw on the possible rather than the absurd (monsters) TRUE FEAR Emphasis of horror IN us/ rather than in a distant place (externally)

thanks

Quick Reply