The Student Room Group

Access to HE mitigating circumstances

I've applied for university through UCAS for 2024 and received 2 offers. Due to a mental health crisis I had in the middle of my access course my grades on assignment based work were quite impacted and I can't meet the requirements of my conditional offer.

My tutors have told me that I won't be able to apply for mitigating circumstances as the mitigating circumstances available focus on lack of completion of work due to personal circumstances rather than impact of personal circumstances on the work itself.

I'm not really sure what to do as I was really hoping to go to a specific university (Durham university) and I may no longer be able to. I know that Durham university allows you to send a mitigating circumstances form directly to them, but only if it's not possible to send it to the examination board for the course I'm on.

Any advice would be helpful!
Ignore your tutor.

YES, you should tell your F & I Unis about any mitigating circumstances that have had a major impact on your studies.
Do it asap as some Unis will have a notification deadline.
Original post by EazyDuzIt99
I've applied for university through UCAS for 2024 and received 2 offers. Due to a mental health crisis I had in the middle of my access course my grades on assignment based work were quite impacted and I can't meet the requirements of my conditional offer.
My tutors have told me that I won't be able to apply for mitigating circumstances as the mitigating circumstances available focus on lack of completion of work due to personal circumstances rather than impact of personal circumstances on the work itself.
I'm not really sure what to do as I was really hoping to go to a specific university (Durham university) and I may no longer be able to. I know that Durham university allows you to send a mitigating circumstances form directly to them, but only if it's not possible to send it to the examination board for the course I'm on.
Any advice would be helpful!

@EazyDuzlt99
Hi, I've taught on an Access to HE program for over 10 years. You should tell them your mitigating circumstances - one of my colleagues has written to an admissions tutor to support their application before to get someone in. Due to the highly sensitive nature of the circumstance, I can't go into details, but the learner, who also had a strong grade portfolio got a place

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending