The Student Room Group

Sitting exams as an adult

Hi everyone,
I’m probably in the minority here, but I’m currently sitting GCSE maths (AQA higher) as an adult as kind of a hobby. I already have the Scottish equivalent from about 20 years ago, but just started studying it again last year for fun and decided to challenge myself to actually doing the exam! Almost everyone thinks I’m crazy for choosing to do this haha.
I just wondered if there happens to be anyone else in a similar situation, and how it’s going for you?
Original post by NiseyW
Hi everyone,
I’m probably in the minority here, but I’m currently sitting GCSE maths (AQA higher) as an adult as kind of a hobby. I already have the Scottish equivalent from about 20 years ago, but just started studying it again last year for fun and decided to challenge myself to actually doing the exam! Almost everyone thinks I’m crazy for choosing to do this haha.
I just wondered if there happens to be anyone else in a similar situation, and how it’s going for you?

I didn't resit GCSEs, but I did do extra A Levels.

It can get a bit intimidating, but then again you are not likely going to sitting in the same room as the junior students. When sitting the exam, you would be sitting alongside the other 16+ exam candidates in a separate invigilated area.

If you want to sit the GCSE Maths exam, then by all means so long you understand that it probably won't help you gain anything beyond what you already have. It's cool to do it as a hobby should you wish, and it can be helpful if you're a maths teacher.

I wouldn't say you're crazy for doing it, but if it's a hobby then it might raise an eyebrow. You should do whatever you want. Nobody says that doing extra qualifications or different ones is crazy.

I wouldn't mind going over some of the exam papers myself to see how I fare compared to the recent exam candidates, but I wouldn't go out of my way to sit the exam should it not be necessary.
Hi,
I am resitting my Maths GCSE at the age of 35, although the foundation paper. I previously got a D and would like a C (4)

😀
Reply 3
Original post by Herewegoagain15
Hi,
I am resitting my Maths GCSE at the age of 35, although the foundation paper. I previously got a D and would like a C (4)
😀

Hope it goes well 🤞🏻

Quick Reply