The Student Room Group
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

Is there a way to assign myself in the same flat as my boyfriend in university?

Backstory, so me and my boyfriend both got accepted into Cardiff university (conditional offer) and we both put it as our first option, when we applied we saw the “couple” flats but we didn’t like that because we weren’t ready to have to share rooms every single day, instead we applied for the same accommodations (en-suite) in the same order (1-10) at the same time. I was wondering if it possible for us to be able to assign ourselves in the same flat if we get accepted in the same building, or would we just have to deal with whatever flat we’ve been assigned. Help Cardiff students
Reply 1
It’s very cute that you’ve been accepted to the same university and for that I hope you’re giving that weight and valuing that your bf will be part of your university experience.

Having been to University and lived in Halls with a couple, my advice would be to embrace the other students who are assigned to your flat. Any couple who cut themselves off from the rest of the kitchen/flat cause pressure on the group dynamics, much more than if you were there as your own entity. Furthermore, if say there’s 5 of you assigned to a flat, that means that the other 3 are part of your relationship which can be a bit intense for them. They can keep your secrets, or alternatively dish the dirt on your relationship. Do you want that sort of scrutiny? If you are a couple who are friendly with other students, not sat on each others’ laps all the time and cooking to the exclusion of others then that’s more positive, but still massively affects the group dynamic.

For my thinking, your time at university is a time to cut loose from your family and fend for yourselves in a safe environment, a time to be yourself without those constraints. It’s a huge part of the university journey. If you’re in the same Halls together as couple, never mind a small flat together, that is impacting your journey and also the journey of the other students in your kitchen. It’s just a bit much and really limits your time at university, a massive part of which is to meet new people and build lifetime friendships. If you are dead cert on going to the same university, I’d apply for separate Halls, which allows you to build those friendships and still be close by to each other. I would not be thinking of applying the same Halls, never mind the same flat!
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website
Please don’t assign yourselves to the same flat if you have the choice! I get where you’re coming from completely but relationships in the flat always isolate themselves from the rest of the group, and when they split it causes so many tensions in the flat. You need to make as many friends as you can in your first year and if you’re put in the situation of isolation, if anything happened between you two it would be really isolating not having anyone else to turn to as you didn’t embrace the opportunities you originally had.

You’re both in Cardiff anyhow so it would be fine spending the odd day at each others, but please, I strongly would not advise staying in the same accom at least not during first year.
Original post by Anonymous
Backstory, so me and my boyfriend both got accepted into Cardiff university (conditional offer) and we both put it as our first option, when we applied we saw the “couple” flats but we didn’t like that because we weren’t ready to have to share rooms every single day, instead we applied for the same accommodations (en-suite) in the same order (1-10) at the same time. I was wondering if it possible for us to be able to assign ourselves in the same flat if we get accepted in the same building, or would we just have to deal with whatever flat we’ve been assigned. Help Cardiff students

Hi there!

The two above comments gave some lovely advice to consider. It's worth having a think about, but [email protected] is probably the best contact to email for any accommodation queries 🙂

~ Fatiha, Cardiff University Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending