The Student Room Group

AQA economics and Liquidity traps

In my prep for AQA Econ paper 2 I came across liquidity traps. I thought it was strange that I didn't know anything about them as they seem like a relatively common topic. After looking at the spec I can't find anywhere that they are explicitly mentioned, however I want to make sure that they can't come up in the exam. Does anyone know whether they are on the spec or not?
liquidity traps are defo something to know for the exam but it'll be supporting evidence/evaluation in a 25marker, unlikely to be a question of its own. I wouldn't bother learning the diagram for it because it takes a long time to explain it in an essay, but just know that sometimes expansionary monetary policy of decreasing the interest rate won't prove effective because if confidence in the economy is low, agents (firms and consumers) may just hold on to their cash instead of spending it, therefore not increasing consumption and not stimulating AD and the economy as intended. It's basically just a good evaluation point for monetary policy and why increasing confidence alongside traditional policy is important.
Original post by student2024!
liquidity traps are defo something to know for the exam but it'll be supporting evidence/evaluation in a 25marker, unlikely to be a question of its own. I wouldn't bother learning the diagram for it because it takes a long time to explain it in an essay, but just know that sometimes expansionary monetary policy of decreasing the interest rate won't prove effective because if confidence in the economy is low, agents (firms and consumers) may just hold on to their cash instead of spending it, therefore not increasing consumption and not stimulating AD and the economy as intended. It's basically just a good evaluation point for monetary policy and why increasing confidence alongside traditional policy is important.

Thanks so much. This was where I landed, i.e. I'd learn it for evaluation just because it moves the essay onto QE quite nicely as an alternative policy.
also i'm doing aqa asw and i have a big feeling financial markets will come up because they haven't since 2019 and neither had behavioural economics until it came up on monday
Deflation as well. It hasn't been explicitly asked since 2019.

Quick Reply