The Student Room Group

gcse

in my paper the question was explain why propane has a low boiling point? for 3 marks
I was correct on saying weak intermolecular forces but I also said weak covalent bonds at the end. would I still get the marks.
I think when you’ve said ‘weak covalent bonds’ you’re opposing what you’ve said with the weak intermolecular forces, so you’d maybe lose a mark for that.
Reply 2
Original post by evemillington
I think when you’ve said ‘weak covalent bonds’ you’re opposing what you’ve said with the weak intermolecular forces, so you’d maybe lose a mark for that.

do you still think id at least get 1 or 2/3
Reply 3

i think its also do not accept on aqa mark scheme but do you still think I might get a mark or 2 because I still wrote the correct answer
Original post by bob90193
do you still think id at least get 1 or 2/3
It depends what your full answer was, you will have lost the mark in the ‘weak intermolecular forces’ even though you were correct, as the mark was removed when you mentioned the weak covalent bonds. If you provided two other correct points then yes you would get 2/3.
Reply 5
It depends what your full answer was, you will have lost the mark in the ‘weak intermolecular forces’ even though you were correct, as the mark was removed when you mentioned the weak covalent bonds. If you provided two other correct points then yes you would get 2/3.

my answer was
propane has weak intermolecular forces which require little energy to overcome. it also has weak covalent bonds which require little energy to break. what do you think this would get out of 3
Reply 6
Original post by bob90193
my answer was
propane has weak intermolecular forces which require little energy to overcome. it also has weak covalent bonds which require little energy to break. what do you think this would get out of 3

I also already missed out on a marking point so what do you think I would get
I think maybe 1/3, as you have said there is little energy to overcome which would get you the mark. To be honest I’m no expert and this is mainly knowledge I have gained from doing it at A-Level, but there’s no point in worrying about it now as it’s over with. Just focus on your other exams and paper 2:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending