The Student Room Group

how to study for n5 chem

i have no idea how to approach or study for n5 chem. i am a straight A student but i just don't have a clue what to do for chem as there is so much info i just need to learn and know to apply it. i have 5 days till the exam.
Original post by idk1321
i have no idea how to approach or study for n5 chem. i am a straight A student but i just don't have a clue what to do for chem as there is so much info i just need to learn and know to apply it. i have 5 days till the exam.

Hi!! I studied chemistry at National 5 last year and got 85% in the exam with only about half a week of serious revision, I also achieved 80% in my Higher Chemistry prelim. I know that it can feel incredibly stressful but once you make a start in the revision, it really won’t seem like that much content.

Revision really depends on what works for you as everyone learns in different ways! However, study methods that require active recall and applying your knowledge will definitely be the most effective. This could be making flashcards (from memory) and using flashcards, making mind maps (from memory), blurting, or just do loads of past paper questions. Avoiding reading over notes or copying out notes as it is not helping you learn content at all.

Make sure that you know the course through active recall and make sure you can answer experimental questions through past paper questions. If you haven’t made any flashcards/mind maps/etc as there isn’t long left you could do active recall with your course notes. You can simply do look, cover, write, check with each key area. Ultimately, do what works best for you - for me, I did blurting with mind maps for a few days and then just ran through loads of past paper questions. You may already know this, but for past paper questions you can use jabchem for detailed answers to questions if the mark schemes aren’t helpful (especially multiple choice and calculations).

Good luck for your exam, I’m sure it will go really well! If you have any other questions please let me know, I’d love to help!!
Reply 2
Original post by uptown-ivy
Hi!! I studied chemistry at National 5 last year and got 85% in the exam with only about half a week of serious revision, I also achieved 80% in my Higher Chemistry prelim. I know that it can feel incredibly stressful but once you make a start in the revision, it really won’t seem like that much content.
Revision really depends on what works for you as everyone learns in different ways! However, study methods that require active recall and applying your knowledge will definitely be the most effective. This could be making flashcards (from memory) and using flashcards, making mind maps (from memory), blurting, or just do loads of past paper questions. Avoiding reading over notes or copying out notes as it is not helping you learn content at all.
Make sure that you know the course through active recall and make sure you can answer experimental questions through past paper questions. If you haven’t made any flashcards/mind maps/etc as there isn’t long left you could do active recall with your course notes. You can simply do look, cover, write, check with each key area. Ultimately, do what works best for you - for me, I did blurting with mind maps for a few days and then just ran through loads of past paper questions. You may already know this, but for past paper questions you can use jabchem for detailed answers to questions if the mark schemes aren’t helpful (especially multiple choice and calculations).
Good luck for your exam, I’m sure it will go really well! If you have any other questions please let me know, I’d love to help!!

Thank you so much! I make my notes throughout the year ( flashcards ect.) so its just revision in exam months lmao😂. Ahhhh I see what you mean with the active recall, again thank you so much <3
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 3
Original post by idk1321

skim through the class materials (powerpoints and stuff) to make sure you know all the content

do past papers to consolidate your knowledge

Reply 4
Original post by yat_ii

skim through the class materials (powerpoints and stuff) to make sure you know all the content

do past papers to consolidate your knowledge

tysm <3

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending