The Student Room Group

how much do you spend a week excluding bills

Hey!
I'm a fellow first year student for '24 fall and i was wondering how much the average student spends per week at uni excluding your bills (e.g. rent, water, etc).
Original post by Anonymous
Hey!
I'm a fellow first year student for '24 fall and i was wondering how much the average student spends per week at uni excluding your bills (e.g. rent, water, etc).

Good evening @Anonymous,

I am a first-year Student at the University of Reading. First of all, congratulations on your university offer!

I typically spend around £45 on food, £8 on public transport to get to the shops for food or essentials, £5 for the occasional stationary items and around £10-20 on social activities. Therefore, £68- £78 weekly. However, I do know many students who spend less on food and do not use public transport, so you could reduce this to around £50 a week.

It all depends on your hobbies. If you plan on going out with friends more than once a week, you will want to have a little extra money to do this. Simialrly, society and sports memberships tend to be annually (yearly), so you may want to factor this into your budget for the year.

I hope this helps, if you have any further questions please do ask.

Many thanks,
Ella 😄

1st year Ecology and Wildlife Conservation.
Reply 2
Original post by UniofReading
Good evening @Anonymous,
I am a first-year Student at the University of Reading. First of all, congratulations on your university offer!
I typically spend around £45 on food, £8 on public transport to get to the shops for food or essentials, £5 for the occasional stationary items and around £10-20 on social activities. Therefore, £68- £78 weekly. However, I do know many students who spend less on food and do not use public transport, so you could reduce this to around £50 a week.
It all depends on your hobbies. If you plan on going out with friends more than once a week, you will want to have a little extra money to do this. Simialrly, society and sports memberships tend to be annually (yearly), so you may want to factor this into your budget for the year.
I hope this helps, if you have any further questions please do ask.
Many thanks,
Ella 😄
1st year Ecology and Wildlife Conservation.

thank you so much!!
Hey!

Hi there! Congrats on your offer :smile:

Cardiff is a reasonably affordable place to live so I do spend on average £30 on groceries. Most of my social activities are from societies themselves so I do save a lot of money that way haha, but on occasion I do social activities with my friends which are usually £10-15. There's a lot of money that goes into when I move in every year, which involves buying stationery, joining societies etc, but they don't contribute on a weekly basis haha. I spend £0 on transport and I spend £5 per week for the gym :smile:

On average, thats £35-45 per week, depending on how sociable I'm feeling haha. Where I'm studying it's probably best to budget £50 per week in case there were any emergency items I needed to buy.

~ Fatiha, Cardiff University Student Rep
Hello,

I am a final year medical student at UCLan.

I guess it really depends on your eating habits, if you cook, and if you need to pay for transport.

For me, I had to pay approximately £40 on public transport, £25 on groceries, £20 eating out, £5 on Coffee.

I also live in a small city and occasionally we would go to Manchester for the day and that would be an added expense.

My top tip is def add some extra money for your first few weeks and you are getting used to the environment, otherwise let me know if you have any specific questions.

Best of luck,
Haya
Hey!

Hi Anon,
I think this mainly comes down to personal experience about how much you eat out and how often you want to go out. Personally, i spend about £30 a week on groceries and £10 for transport and social activities cost about £10-20 a week. Hope this helps!
-Jasmine (Lancaster Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply