The Student Room Group

3d Games Art staffs vs herts vs bournemouth

Hi everyone, I'm considering choosing between these options in terms of games art courses. Ive been looking at what awards each of them have won and am wondering what the employment rates are like. I know Bournemouth is a relatively new course but I've had it recommended to me so am including it here. I really want to work in the creative industries, and want to go somewhere where there's a higher chance of employment at the end (i know it does come down to portfolio, though) as well as a good student experience.
I was hoping some current / past students could please tell me what its like at these unis?
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by 800thwinner
Hi everyone, I'm considering choosing between these options in terms of games art courses. Ive been looking at what awards each of them have won and am wondering what the employment rates are like. I know Bournemouth is a relatively new course but I've had it recommended to me so am including it here. I really want to work in the creative industries, and want to go somewhere where there's a higher chance of employment at the end (i know it does come down to portfolio, though) as well as a good student experience.
I was hoping some current / past students could please tell me what its like at these unis?

Hi @800thwinner,

I'm 2nd year BSc Dietetics student at UH, so I can share some insights about Herts 3D Games Art course based on my experience and research:

Hertfordshire is renowned for its art and design programs, and the 3D Games Art course is no exception. The university has won several prestigious awards for its courses, which speaks to the quality of education and training you’ll receive. The program is designed to be highly industry-relevant, with a strong focus on employability. Many graduates have successfully secured positions in top gaming companies, thanks to the university’s excellent industry connections and career support services. This course is accredited by The Rookies, SideFX, TIGA and CILECT. Unreal Engine is also an academic partner with the university.

The facilities at Hertfords are top-notch, including well-equipped labs and studios that provide an excellent environment for developing your skills. The curriculum is comprehensive, covering all aspects of 3D games art, and you’ll have plenty of opportunities to work on real-world projects, which is crucial for building a strong portfolio. See more here.

In terms of student life, Herts offers a vibrant and dynamic campus experience. There are numerous clubs, societies, and events that cater to a wide range of interests, including those specifically related to gaming and digital arts. This makes it easy to network with like-minded peers and professionals.

I hope this helps! If you have any more specific questions about the course or the university, feel free to ask. Good luck with your decision!

Best regards,
Natacha 😊
Hello! My name is Jodie and I'm a second year, about to be third year, Games Art student at Staffs Uni! Hope I can help you here :smile:

Here at staffs we are very connected to the gaming industry. We have hosted events such as the Ukie student conference where games companies come in and you get the chance to talk to them, build up connections via LinkedIn and it's an overall good day out! I've also had the chance to attend the Let's Talk Games conference with the uni too which is like the Ukie conference but on a lot bigger scale!

For student life / experience too, Staffs has been nothing but wonderful to me.I was super nervous to come to uni as I live so far away when I'm not on campus. However, the staffs and uni itself are super welcoming and really help ease any anxiety you may have. The local area around the uni is great too! Lots of nightlife both on and off campus, events held by the uni etc - there is always something going on!

Hope this has been helpful for you and if you have any further questions or want anything expanding on, please don't hesitate to reach out! I'm more than happy to help :smile:

Good luck on your journey and I hope it all goes well for you!

Quick Reply

Latest