The Student Room Group

GCSE AQA french writing paper revision (higher)

For this exam next week, I was just wondering how others revise. To be honest, I never do much and wing these exams, kind of trusting that the vocab I've developed from 4 years of french at school will carry me. But I'd be interested to know if people think that a certain form of targeted revision has been helpful to them.

My other question is, do you think there's such a thing as writing too much (especially for the 150 word one). With so much excess time, I often find myself easily going over that 150 words by 2 or even 3 fold. Will an examiner care and will they treat that the same, or should I try to keep it more concise and limit the diversity of my language?
Reply 1
Hey, I do french AQA and for writing, I try to make sure I know how to form the basic tenses (past, present, future) but also more complex ones (conditional, pluperfect etc.) and also, I have, what I call, some "fancy phrases" which I have for each module, so for example module 5 (holidays) I might say the hotel was "un petit coin de paradis" which is "a small corner of paradise" and other such phrases that'll just push my marks up a bit because they're more complex and interesting.
Other than that, there's not much else to do, if you know vocab and how to form verbs for different people then you'll be alright.
Also, I'm fairly sure that if you go over 150 words it doesn't matter, but maybe refrain from going too far over the limit as you have more chance of being wrong and making mistakes, it's better to be concise and make every sentence interesting than writing loads to try to fit in all the knowledge you know, if that makes sense. But the examiner will still mark all of it :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Liqht
Hey, I do french AQA and for writing, I try to make sure I know how to form the basic tenses (past, present, future) but also more complex ones (conditional, pluperfect etc.) and also, I have, what I call, some "fancy phrases" which I have for each module, so for example module 5 (holidays) I might say the hotel was "un petit coin de paradis" which is "a small corner of paradise" and other such phrases that'll just push my marks up a bit because they're more complex and interesting.
Other than that, there's not much else to do, if you know vocab and how to form verbs for different people then you'll be alright.
Also, I'm fairly sure that if you go over 150 words it doesn't matter, but maybe refrain from going too far over the limit as you have more chance of being wrong and making mistakes, it's better to be concise and make every sentence interesting than writing loads to try to fit in all the knowledge you know, if that makes sense. But the examiner will still mark all of it :smile:

Alright thx so much! I think I'll just have a look over the kinds of phrases I could put in, like you said
Hi, I don’t do French but have a friend who is French and took her exam last year. They are supposed to read your whole writing, but examiners can and often will stop reading if you write too much. This can be a really big deal if they don’t get to your mention of the last bullet point as that can cap your mark. A good and safe bet for amount on any writing is what they recommend + 10%. Generally I would avoid going over 180 words if 150 is suggested. Good luck!
Reply 4
Original post by azaaaa9000
For this exam next week, I was just wondering how others revise. To be honest, I never do much and wing these exams, kind of trusting that the vocab I've developed from 4 years of french at school will carry me. But I'd be interested to know if people think that a certain form of targeted revision has been helpful to them.
My other question is, do you think there's such a thing as writing too much (especially for the 150 word one). With so much excess time, I often find myself easily going over that 150 words by 2 or even 3 fold. Will an examiner care and will they treat that the same, or should I try to keep it more concise and limit the diversity of my language?

Hey!
I do French higher too and I normally revise by just doing a past paper the night before and I got a 9 in my writing mock. Remember to include vocab that will get you top marks as well + time phrases (le weekend dernier, hier, matin)
For the 150 word I use POINT structure. I normally have 10 words for each sentence so 3 paragraphs of POINT makes sure I dont write too less or too much.

Hope that helps!
Goodluck
Reply 5
Original post by ammy.xuu
Hey!
I do French higher too and I normally revise by just doing a past paper the night before and I got a 9 in my writing mock. Remember to include vocab that will get you top marks as well + time phrases (le weekend dernier, hier, matin)
For the 150 word I use POINT structure. I normally have 10 words for each sentence so 3 paragraphs of POINT makes sure I dont write too less or too much.
Hope that helps!
Goodluck

Hi Ik we’ve got French writing on Friday but if u have a list of any fancy phrases u use could u please possibly send me them to me. I’m aiming for a nine in writing but I keep getting stuck on a seven around 45 or below I always seem to mess up my writing out of the rest it’s the only one I’m stuck on a seven for and I’m worried it’s going to bring down the rest of my grade, I’ve never heard of the point structure or any store for writing were just told to stem off basic sentences
Also if u have any other tips on how u revise for the writing even to do with the verbs pls feel free to list them !
(edited 1 month ago)
Hi, does anyone here know what was asked for the 90 and 150-word essay questions last year?

Where do you study?
Original post by ammy.xuu
Hey!
Hope that helps!
Goodluck

Hey,
What is the POINT structure?? Don't think i've ever been taught it.
Thanks!
Reply 9
Original post by The_Benefactor
Hi, does anyone here know what was asked for the 90 and 150-word essay questions last year?

I remember the 90 words was about holidays, weather etc. And Ik for sure there was a 150 words on school. I think it was like, positives and negatives of your school, then also asking about a memorable school trip. And I can't really remember the other options but I think there was an 150 words on the environment
Original post by primal-bump
Where do you study?

I don't really see how that's relevant....
Thank u so much 😊
Original post by Liqht

omg pls tell me where I can find some of those phrases!
Reply 13
Original post by permanent-juice
omg pls tell me where I can find some of those phrases!

hey, have a look at this thread...
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7461030
Reply 14, I've posted module by module all the fancy phrases I've got if that helps :smile:
Original post by Liqht
hey, have a look at this thread...
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7461030
Reply 14, I've posted module by module all the fancy phrases I've got if that helps :smile:

tysmmm!
I don't really see how that's relevant....

Actually, I was Just Curious to know that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending