This discussion is closed.
Davido
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
AQA GS this afternoon, modules 4 and 5. Oh my ****ing God what the **** was that!!! It's another
example of how they can't get the timing right - whilst with some e.g. Edexcel maths modules you
must scribble away and you might just finish the paper, here everyone finished the paper in 30-45
mins and sat there for an hour.

French - "Spend 45 minutes" OK erm I spent about 12. I've got around 50-60% in mock papers for
French, but going over the questions for 45 mins ain't going to help if I don't know half the words!

Arts Essay - "Spend 45 mins" I did the discussion that "Without the arts the world would be a poorer
place" - yes, culturally poorer. The world needs music, lit and arts. But even with a valid
argument, after 30 mins you just get bored.

Maths MultiChoice - "Spend 45 mins" OH MY ****ING GOD! This is meant to be MATHS not Home
Economics!! All about seams, hemlines, darts... only 2 girls understood what on earth it was all
about! I was close to crying when opening the paper [which contrasts with Geog yesterday when I
started laughing]...

Science essay - "Spend 45 mins" I did the one about an investigation to show the relationship
between homework and exam success. Typically, I completely went off the topic, turning it into a
damming report on how there is no longer a link between homework and exam success thanks to stupid
timetables [ppl doing Lit History Maths GS had 7 hrs of exams today], variation between boards
yaddah yaddah...

i need 62 in these 3 modules for an A in GS. That'll be touch and go now... lol. Howd
others find it?
Jon Shilton
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
I'm so glad I read 'How to make dresses, Volume 6' before I went into my GS exam yesterday! I
thought the whole paper was an absolute joke. The last essay questions lacked any depth to them - I
ended up doing the relationship between health and diet question, but it was awful. I cant believe
that it account for 40% of the A level. Madness.

"Davido" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
[q1]> AQA GS this afternoon, modules 4 and 5. Oh my ****ing God what the **** was that!!! It's another[/q1]
[q1]> example of how they can't get the timing right - whilst with some e.g. Edexcel maths modules you[/q1]
[q1]> must scribble away and you might just finish the paper, here everyone finished the paper in 30-45[/q1]
[q1]> mins and sat there for an hour.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> French - "Spend 45 minutes" OK erm I spent about 12. I've got around 50-60% in mock papers[/q1]
[q1]> for French, but going over the questions for 45 mins ain't going to help if I don't know half[/q1]
[q1]> the words![/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Arts Essay - "Spend 45 mins" I did the discussion that "Without the arts the world would be a[/q1]
[q1]> poorer place" - yes, culturally poorer. The world needs music, lit and arts. But even with a valid[/q1]
[q1]> argument, after 30 mins you just get bored.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Maths MultiChoice - "Spend 45 mins" OH MY ****ING GOD! This is meant to be MATHS not Home[/q1]
[q1]> Economics!! All about seams, hemlines, darts... only 2 girls understood what on earth it was all[/q1]
[q1]> about! I was close to crying when opening the paper [which contrasts with Geog yesterday when I[/q1]
[q1]> started laughing]...[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Science essay - "Spend 45 mins" I did the one about an investigation to show the relationship[/q1]
[q1]> between homework and exam success. Typically, I completely went off the topic, turning it into a[/q1]
[q1]> damming report on how there is no longer a link between homework and exam success thanks to stupid[/q1]
[q1]> timetables [ppl doing Lit History Maths GS had 7 hrs of exams today], variation between boards[/q1]
[q1]> yaddah yaddah...[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> i need 62 in these 3 modules for an A in GS. That'll be touch and go now... lol. Howd others[/q1]
[q1]> find it?[/q1]
Peter Windridge
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
I need 68 in each of the 3 modules to get an A. I think I got about 30/100 on U4, but I think I
could have got 100/100 on U5. U5 was a spacial awareness and mechanics paper, but I agree, they
could have picked a better subject than dress making! Am hoping for a good synoptic now..

[q1]> AQA GS this afternoon, modules 4 and 5. Oh my ****ing God what the **** was that!!! It's another[/q1]
[q1]> example of how they can't get the timing right - whilst with some e.g. Edexcel maths modules you[/q1]
[q1]> must scribble away and you might just finish the paper, here everyone finished the paper in 30-45[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> French - "Spend 45 minutes" OK erm I spent about 12. I've got around 50-60% in mock papers[/q1]
[q1]> for French, but going over the questions for 45 mins ain't going to help if I don't know half[/q1]
[q1]> the words![/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Arts Essay - "Spend 45 mins" I did the discussion that "Without the arts the world would be a[/q1]
[q1]> poorer place" - yes, culturally poorer. The world needs music, lit and arts. But even with a valid[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Maths MultiChoice - "Spend 45 mins" OH MY ****ING GOD! This is meant to be MATHS not Home[/q1]
[q1]> Economics!! All about seams, hemlines, darts... only 2 girls understood what on earth it was all[/q1]
[q1]> about! I was close to crying when opening the paper [which contrasts with Geog yesterday when I[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Science essay - "Spend 45 mins" I did the one about an investigation to show the relationship[/q1]
[q1]> between homework and exam success. Typically, I completely went off the topic, turning it into a[/q1]
[q1]> damming report on how there is no longer a link between homework and exam success thanks to stupid[/q1]
[q1]> timetables [ppl doing Lit History Maths GS had 7 hrs of exams today], variation between boards[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> i need 62 in these 3 modules for an A in GS. That'll be touch and go now... lol. Howd others[/q1]
[q1]> find it?[/q1]
Peter Windridge
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Davido, how confident are you that you will get an A in General Studies? The thought has just
occured to me that when I write my CV, I might not have done General Studies. So, if any one ever
sees my CV and general studies is strangely missing, please dont tell anyone

[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> the words![/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> find it?[/q1]
Davido
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Jon Shilton, are you joking? You read up dressmaking? Lol, I never thought abt revising GS.

By the way, these 2 modules were only worth 30% each of A2, the synoptic is the one worth 40%.

[q1]> Davido, how confident are you that you will get an A in General Studies?[/q1]
Well I had the arrogant complacency I had in AS Chemistry last year - after a top january result and
coursework I was going round saying "I only need 69 in Chemi", did no revision and got 68.8 lol!

At the moment I'm fearing getting between 470-479 / 600 in 2 subjects, according to my calculations
that's very possible!

Think I'll have UMS marks of about 60 and 65 = 60 in the last paper.

[q1]> The thought has just occured to me that when I write my CV, I might not have done General[/q1]
[q1]> Studies. So, if any one ever sees my CV and general studies is strangely missing, please dont[/q1]
[q1]> tell anyone [/q1]
Don't worry about CVs. My 9A*s and a B has become 9A*s on my CV, not like they check your
certificates, and also "RE is not a full GCSE, it's only a short course" lol. I kno ppl with AAAAD,
D in GS, they won't mention it on their CV!
Chris Share
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
On 15 Jun 2002 14:54:11 -0700s, Davido([email protected]) said...
[q1]>Don't worry about CVs. My 9A*s and a B has become 9A*s on my CV, not like they check your[/q1]
[q1]>certificates, and also "RE is not a full GCSE, it's only a short course" lol. I kno ppl with AAAAD,[/q1]
[q1]>D in GS, they won't mention it on their CV![/q1]

Reminds me of someone at school... straight As, two Ss in STEP maths, and C in general studies

chris
Rikki Prince
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
"Jon Shilton" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
[q1]> I'm so glad I read 'How to make dresses, Volume 6' before I went[/q1]
into my GS

Why did everyone say that! *EVERY* single person I saw after the exam said the exact same thing, and
it's not even remotely funny. I had to feign laughter for hundreds of people after they told the
exact same joke as the last person I spoke to. Argh! The voices!

Seriously though, I personally found it pretty easy, which is good, cos I'm **** at all the essay
and French questions (all 83% of the exam!). Now to read that boring case study thing they gave us
for GS6...

Rikki
Davido
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
[q1]> Jon Shilton, are you joking? You read up dressmaking? Lol, I never thought abt revising GS.[/q1]

Oh dear God I can't believe I actually wrote that - I must have scanread ur thread & been half
asleep at the time.
Jon Shilton
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
u didnt hav to read the post u know!

"Rikki Prince" <[email protected]> wrote in message
[q1]> "Jon Shilton" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...[/q1]
[q2]> > I'm so glad I read 'How to make dresses, Volume 6' before I went[/q2]
[q1]> into my GS[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Why did everyone say that! *EVERY* single person I saw after the exam said the exact same thing,[/q1]
[q1]> and it's not even remotely funny. I had to feign laughter for hundreds of people after they told[/q1]
[q1]> the exact same joke as the last person I spoke to. Argh! The voices![/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Seriously though, I personally found it pretty easy, which is good, cos I'm **** at all the essay[/q1]
[q1]> and French questions (all 83% of the exam!). Now to read that boring case study thing they gave us[/q1]
[q1]> for GS6...[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Rikki[/q1]
Davido
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
[q1]> Seriously though, I personally found it pretty easy, which is good, cos I'm **** at all the essay[/q1]
[q1]> and French questions (all 83% of the exam!).[/q1]

People appear to be making errors about how much each bit is worth, heres AQA, the stupid
dress-making syllabus:

Unit 1 - Art Lit Humanities Multiple Choice 8.33% Essay 8.33%

Unit 2 - Science & Tech Multiple Choice 16.67%

Unit 3 - Econo Pol Soc Comprehension & Essay 16.67%

Unit 4 - Art Lit Humanities French or German 7.5% Arts Essay 7.5%

Unit 5 - Sci Math Tech Fekkin Dressmakin 7.5% Science Essay 7.5%

Unit 6 - Transport Whole thang worth 40%
Ian/Cath Ford
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
On 15 Jun 2002 14:54:11 -0700, [email protected] (Davido) wrote:

[q1]>Don't worry about CVs. My 9A*s and a B has become 9A*s on my CV, not like they check your[/q1]
[q1]>certificates, and also "RE is not a full GCSE, it's only a short course" lol. I kno ppl with AAAAD,[/q1]
[q1]>D in GS, they won't mention it on their CV![/q1]

*Be careful*. Technically this could be construed as not telling a future employer everything they
wanted to know about you. 99% of the time that wouldn't be a problem. If, however, someone wanted to
sack you for some reason but didn't have a valid reason, this becomes grounds for *automatic
dismissal* - no recourse to industrial tribunal etc.

As I say, probably not an issue: but it's best to know in advance. I do know of at least one case
where this occured.

Ian
--
Ian, Cath & Eoin Ford The view from Beccles

Support clubs against Carlton & Granada: Boycott ITV world cup coverage.

You know what to do: delete the dots but leave the .s to reply to us.
Peter Lloyd
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
[q1]> People appear to be making errors about how much each bit is worth, heres AQA, the stupid[/q1]
[q1]> dress-making syllabus:[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Unit 1 - Art Lit Humanities Multiple Choice 8.33% Essay 8.33%[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Unit 2 - Science & Tech Multiple Choice 16.67%[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Unit 3 - Econo Pol Soc Comprehension & Essay 16.67%[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Unit 4 - Art Lit Humanities French or German 7.5% Arts Essay 7.5%[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Unit 5 - Sci Math Tech Fekkin Dressmakin 7.5% Science Essay 7.5%[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Unit 6 - Transport Whole thang worth 40%[/q1]

Totalling 120% !!

Methinks unit 6 is worth 20%

Peter
Rob M
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
[q2]> >Don't worry about CVs. My 9A*s and a B has become 9A*s on my CV, not like they check your[/q2]
[q2]> >certificates, and also "RE is not a full GCSE, it's only a short course" lol. I kno ppl with[/q2]
[q2]> >AAAAD, D in GS, they won't mention it on their CV![/q2]

I didn't tell Oxford that i got a D in Design Technology - though, i can't see them kicking me out
if they found out now...
Rikki Prince
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
[q2]> > Seriously though, I personally found it pretty easy, which is[/q2]
good,
[q2]> > cos I'm **** at all the essay and French questions (all 83% of the exam!).[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> People appear to be making errors about how much each bit is worth, heres AQA, the stupid[/q1]
[q1]> dress-making syllabus:[/q1]

Oops. My mistake. I never looked at the A2 section percentages. I just saw 33.3% for all the AS
modules and assumed it was the same for A2.

Anyway, it's still 84.25% of the A-Level that I cannot confidently
do...

Rikki
Rikki Prince
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
"Jon Shilton" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
[q1]> u didnt hav to read the post u know![/q1]

lol. It was a viscious attack, btw, in case it was construed as that. I was just kidding. It just
amazed me that *everyone* seemed to make the joke. It was so obvious and not really a very funny
joke, and it was scary that everyone's level of comedy had been lowered by a couple of GS exams to
make them resort to cracking that joke!! :-S

Rikki
Peter Windridge
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Thanks for the words of wisdom. I would just like to point out that even in my hasty, unthoughtful
comments, I said 'might' not include General Studies. Thanks to Davido's useful contribution
regarding the weighting of the units, I am now feeling a bit more confident about GS anyway. I
wouldn't do a deceitful thing like lie on my CV, really, as if it ever got found out ...

"Ian/Cath Ford" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
[q1]> On 15 Jun 2002 14:54:11 -0700, [email protected] (Davido) wrote:[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q2]> >Don't worry about CVs. My 9A*s and a B has become 9A*s on my CV, not like they check your[/q2]
[q2]> >certificates, and also "RE is not a full GCSE, it's only a short course" lol. I kno ppl with[/q2]
[q2]> >AAAAD, D in GS, they won't mention it on their CV![/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> *Be careful*. Technically this could be construed as not telling a future employer everything they[/q1]
[q1]> wanted to know about you. 99% of the time that wouldn't be a problem. If, however, someone wanted[/q1]
[q1]> to sack you for some reason but didn't have a valid reason, this becomes grounds for *automatic[/q1]
[q1]> dismissal* - no recourse to industrial tribunal etc.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> As I say, probably not an issue: but it's best to know in advance. I do know of at least one case[/q1]
[q1]> where this occured.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Ian[/q1]
[q1]> --[/q1]
[q1]> Ian, Cath & Eoin Ford The view from Beccles[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Support clubs against Carlton & Granada: Boycott ITV world cup coverage.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> You know what to do: delete the dots but leave the .s to reply to us.[/q1]
Ian/Cath Ford
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
On Sun, 16 Jun 2002 20:55:58 +0100, "Rob M" <[email protected]> wrote:

[q2]>> >Don't worry about CVs. My 9A*s and a B has become 9A*s on my CV, not like they check your[/q2]
[q2]>> >certificates, and also "RE is not a full GCSE, it's only a short course" lol. I kno ppl with[/q2]
[q2]>> >AAAAD, D in GS, they won't mention it on their CV![/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>I didn't tell Oxford that i got a D in Design Technology - though, i can't see them kicking me out[/q1]
[q1]>if they found out now...[/q1]

As I say, probably won't matter at all. But just imagine: you seriously piss off some post-grad
supervisor or something - like *really badly*. They do a google search and turn this information up.
*Technically* you're for the high-jump Rob.

Shame, after all that work and everything. Told you you should have done geography afterall. Maybe
Thames Valley will have you :-)

Ian
--

Ian/Cath Ford
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
On Mon, 17 Jun 2002 19:01:28 +0100, "Peter Windridge" <[email protected] m> wrote:

[q1]>Thanks for the words of wisdom. I would just like to point out that even in my hasty, unthoughtful[/q1]
[q1]>comments, I said 'might' not include General Studies. Thanks to Davido's useful contribution[/q1]
[q1]>regarding the weighting of the units, I am now feeling a bit more confident about GS anyway. I[/q1]
[q1]>wouldn't do a deceitful thing like lie on my CV, really, as if it ever got found out ...[/q1]

Oh, I think all of us would lie on a CV if we really needed to :-) Or, at least, deliberatly
mislead...

As I keep on saying: 99% of the time a simple gap wouldn't make any difference one way or
the other....

Ian
--

Rob M
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
[q1]> As I say, probably won't matter at all. But just imagine: you seriously piss off some post-grad[/q1]
[q1]> supervisor or something - like *really badly*. They do a google search and turn this information[/q1]
[q1]> up. *Technically* you're for the high-jump Rob.[/q1]

hehe... i could probably wriggle out of it as it was a short course - but i guess i better watch
my step :0

rob

X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (263)
34.02%
No (510)
65.98%

Watched Threads