A quick question re entry process!

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Mark_KK
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 18 years ago
Ok, I am doing 2 A levels in 1 year and subsequently all offers I am made (or not) will be based on this (just the two grades):

What happens if the following scenario occurs:

Uni "A" wants AB (1st choice)
Uni "B" wants BC (2nd choice)

Lets say I get BB, does this automatically mean that I go to Uni B or can "A" turn around and accept me should they feel generous?
BABYGUY
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 18 years ago
depends on your interview, you as a person, your personal statment, and the number of places they have. if thse factors are good for you, then perhaps A will accept you.
Mark_KK
Rep:
(Original post by BABYGUY)
depends on your interview, you as a person, your personal statment, and the number of places they have. if thse factors are good for you, then perhaps A will accept you.
Thanks!

Also is uni B told that it is second choice or not?
LH
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
(Original post by Mark_KK)
Ok, I am doing 2 A levels in 1 year and subsequently all offers I am made (or not) will be based on this (just the two grades):

What happens if the following scenario occurs:

Uni "A" wants AB (1st choice)
Uni "B" wants BC (2nd choice)

Lets say I get BB, does this automatically mean that I go to Uni B or can "A" turn around and accept me should they feel generous?
If that happened, you should contact A as soon as possible to see if they'll let you in, but usually they will have already decided and if they have told UCAS they will accept you, you will get a letter from UCAS telling you such, and if they haven't accepted you, you will recieve a letter from UCAS telling you you are going to B.
LH
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
Thanks!

Also is uni B told that it is second choice or not?
Yes, but they cannot back out of it once you have an offer. So if B gives you an offer, and you accept it as insurance choice, they cannot turn around and say they don't want you.
SaeedRehman
Badges: 0
Report 18 years ago
i thought nearly all unis, wanted at least 2 a2s and 2 as or ideally 3 a2s! in some cases some dont accept 2 a2s and 2as's
Bhaal85
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
(Original post by SaeedRehman)
i thought nearly all unis, wanted at least 2 a2s and 2 as or ideally 3 a2s! in some cases some dont accept 2 a2s and 2as's
what you apllying for and what unis???
Mark_KK
Rep:
(Original post by SaeedRehman)
The fact that I am 22 years old and have a decent job that I have held for a while counts for alot.

Once you are over 21 most universities class you as a "mature student" which can help although some uni's are not interested in candidates such as myself (When I spoke to Birmingham they were very negative towards me).

I *think* that any Uni can admit anyone as long as they want to and A-Levels are unnecaccary. They are simply used to guage academic ability and filter out decent candidates from er...the not so decent ones.

I am applying for Law and have applied to:

Hull
Lancaster
Leeds
Manchester
Newcastle
Nottingham

I have either telephoned or met with the admissions staff from all of them except Newcastle and they have all been helpful and very positive about mature students. One admissions officer I met even made me an offer on the spot which I were very impressed with. We have an agreement that she will make this offer as soon as UCAS send her my application and I am confident that she will keep to it.

Some people think that it may be unfair giving a preferential offer to a mature student but believe me I could not have attempted uni at 17/18 as at this age I was quite frankly not interested in education.

I have now spent a few years in full time employment where I have gained important experience and skills along with developing some interest and idea as to where I want my career to go. I now believe that I am in a strong position to attempt a law degree and succeed!
Bhaal85
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
The fact that I am 22 years old and have a decent job that I have held for a while counts for alot.

Once you are over 21 most universities class you as a "mature student" which can help although some uni's are not interested in candidates such as myself (When I spoke to Birmingham they were very negative towards me).

I *think* that any Uni can admit anyone as long as they want to and A-Levels are unnecaccary. They are simply used to guage academic ability and filter out decent candidates from er...the not so decent ones.

I am applying for Law and have applied to:

Hull
Lancaster
Leeds
Manchester
Newcastle
Nottingham

I have either telephoned or met with the admissions staff from all of them except Newcastle and they have all been helpful and very positive about mature students. One admissions officer I met even made me an offer on the spot which I were very impressed with. We have an agreement that she will make this offer as soon as UCAS send her my application and I am confident that she will keep to it.

Some people think that it may be unfair giving a preferential offer to a mature student but believe me I could not have attempted uni at 17/18 as at this age I was quite frankly not interested in education.

I have now spent a few years in full time employment where I have gained important experience and skills along with developing some interest and idea as to where I want my career to go. I now believe that I am in a strong position to attempt a law degree and succeed!
What was the offer???
Mark_KK
Rep:
(Original post by Bhaal85)
What was the offer???
I am not saying as this could Be a Contencious issue if others were to apply to the uni that made it.

Now lets see how observant you are!
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
Mark - you're quite right - when it comes to mature students uni's just want to see some evidence that you're in an academic frame of mind - ie that you've spent the yr before starting uni studying for a levels or an access course or for something similar...quantity of study counts far less than experience (especially in subjects like law where experience and maturity can make a big difference to how well you do)...it's more just a way of ensuring an applicants commitment and to make sure they don't arrive on a uni course and get completely phased by the change in working style.

(Oh and as for your question if you accept the ihgher offering uni as your firm choice and the lower as your insurance then you will only be confirmed as definately going to your insurance once your firm choice has rejected you...and universities recieve A level results on the Sunday before they are released to students on the Thursday so those sorts of decisions have usually already been made by results day and will show up online on the UCAS tracker (apart from the slacker uni's who still use quill pens and papyrus for their confirmation processing)).
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (33)
9.79%
Okay (99)
29.38%
A bit lacking (122)
36.2%
Not good at all (83)
24.63%

Watched Threads