The Student Room Group

English Literature GCSE ran out of time

Be brutally honest, I did not finish any of my two essays for English Literature paper 1, for one of them i wrote like 2 and a half paragraphs and for the second i wrote 3 and like 2 sentences for the fourth. With that information and the fact that the content was not even that great, at maximum, what can i look to get?
it depends on the content of your paragraphs i think. the examiners don't penalise you for what you don't have, they reward you for what you do have. so if you've missed out paragraphs you wont lose marks JUST because you havent written like 5 for example, but if the fact that you wrote less means that the standard of your essay has gone down, then that means you haven't included stuff and they can't give you the marks for it. the examiners are looking for the stuff on the checklist that they want you to have done, so if they can't find that then you can't get marks. but, judging by what you said about your work not really being good quality, it's likely you'll probably get less marks because you didn't complete the whole structure, and less marks for content, but you can still get a decent mark i'd say. but i don't know what i'd personally predict as a number- because it's so subjective. you'll just have to bang out paper 2 tbh, because that would probably help average the grade out if you think you did pretty bad on the paper 1. i hope that helps?? 🫶
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 2
Original post by itsadara
it depends on the content of your paragraphs i think. the examiners don't penalise you for what you don't have, they reward you for what you do have. so if you've missed out paragraphs you wont lose marks JUST because you havent written like 5 for example, but if the fact that you wrote less means that the standard of your essay has gone down, then that means you haven't included stuff and they can't give you the marks for it. the examiners are looking for the stuff on the checklist that they want you to have done, so if they can't find that then you can't get marks. but, judging by what you said about your work not really being good quality, it's likely you'll probably get less marks because you didn't complete the whole structure, and less marks for content, but you can still get a decent mark i'd say. but i don't know what i'd personally predict as a number- because it's so subjective. you'll just have to bang out paper 2 tbh, because that would probably help average the grade out if you think you did pretty bad on the paper 1. i hope that helps?? 🫶
thank youuu the fact that you said i cant LOSE marks for not finishing defo relieved me but yeah i never expected a lot from eng lit anyways but i hope paper 2 goes better🤞🫶

Quick Reply