The Student Room Group

How can i save money ?

Hello , any tips advices on how to save money while studying in UK ? btw im from Austria
Hi i don't know what year of study you're in, but ill guess that its university?
My tips are to eat home cooked food, completely avoid buying fast food.
Dont purchase any unecessary things, all you need, are needs (essential for survival)
If youre a tempted person, keep your card/cash at home.
Find a job, this is the hardest one unfortunately. A way to do this is by applying to do young career work experience
Most of the time you'll be offered an interview + kept on to work full time!
Hey @martin818,

My top tip for saving money whilst studying at university is setting a budget and sticking to it. Draw up a reasonable list of expenses for your area - including the cost of your rent, food, household essentials, travel, maybe some money for going out/leisure - and see how much that totals per month. If you can stay within this amount each month or even reduce it in some ways (such as through meal prepping in advance or perhaps walking/taking the bus to university instead of the train), you should eventually be able to set aside some savings. Definitely look into getting a part-time job alongside your studies for a bit of extra income and financial security; consider working weekends when you don't have classes, or looking at jobs that offer evening/night shifts so your work doesn't collide with any lectures or in-person teaching.

Best of luck with saving! 😁
Eve (Kingston Rep).
Reply 3
Thanks for the tips
Original post by martin818
Hello , any tips advices on how to save money while studying in UK ? btw im from Austria

Really getting back to the basics i.e meticulously plan and then review every income and expense regularly.
But then, we know this is rather boring and a pain. And then you ned to guess where you rank among your peers. Are you saving enough or too much! Similar to studying or going to a gym, after a couple of months, please just stop...
Thats where a social element is required. You can go with a social budgeting App like Monesave. Check it out. You can join and see what other users in a similar demographic and lifestyle do. Its a great way to combine community and action. Do check them out on the google play store or web app

Needless to say, I am a huge fan the app. Highly recommend it.
Original post by Kingston Reps
Hey @martin818,
My top tip for saving money whilst studying at university is setting a budget and sticking to it. Draw up a reasonable list of expenses for your area - including the cost of your rent, food, household essentials, travel, maybe some money for going out/leisure - and see how much that totals per month. If you can stay within this amount each month or even reduce it in some ways (such as through meal prepping in advance or perhaps walking/taking the bus to university instead of the train), you should eventually be able to set aside some savings. Definitely look into getting a part-time job alongside your studies for a bit of extra income and financial security; consider working weekends when you don't have classes, or looking at jobs that offer evening/night shifts so your work doesn't collide with any lectures or in-person teaching.
Best of luck with saving! 😁
Eve (Kingston Rep).

Also talk about it! We should be comfortable discussing budgets, how much rent we pay, how much we put aside for hols etc. Thats social element is key to forming a goog budgeting habit.

Quick Reply