The Student Room Group

AS worries

I feel like I've done horribly in my AS FM exams (anywhere between an E and a C) and I'm quite worried as these are what our pred grades will be based off (I believe we have a chance at the start of next year to improve our grades). I'm currently doing Chem, FM, Maths and Physics and considering applying to the likes of Imperial, UCL and Soton for EEE. Is the dream over? Should I still bother applying to these places? (I think it's possible to get As in the rest of my subjects at AS).

Thanks (if you have) for reading all this.
Reply 1
hiya, are these official AS exams or just school/college mock exams? i’m in year 13 now, and i can say i was having the exact same worries as you around this time last year. typically, they shouldn’t be solely what your predicted grades are based on - often students work much harder towards their actual A-Level exams and teachers are supposed to take that into consideration, as well as how hard you have worked throughout the year and your current working grades, etc. however, i do suggest that maybe you speak to any teachers/heads of departments if possible, addressing your concerns. i know some schools and colleges do inflate predicted grades, mine definitely did (a lot of students predicted As and A*s when consistently working at Ds). but at the end of the day, the offer won’t mean anything if you can’t meet the grades! so if you’re certain that you could probably reach the entry requirements, then keep pushing for those predictions. best of luck.
Reply 2
Original post by v3lia
hiya, are these official AS exams or just school/college mock exams? i’m in year 13 now, and i can say i was having the exact same worries as you around this time last year. typically, they shouldn’t be solely what your predicted grades are based on - often students work much harder towards their actual A-Level exams and teachers are supposed to take that into consideration, as well as how hard you have worked throughout the year and your current working grades, etc. however, i do suggest that maybe you speak to any teachers/heads of departments if possible, addressing your concerns. i know some schools and colleges do inflate predicted grades, mine definitely did (a lot of students predicted As and A*s when consistently working at Ds). but at the end of the day, the offer won’t mean anything if you can’t meet the grades! so if you’re certain that you could probably reach the entry requirements, then keep pushing for those predictions. best of luck.
Thanks for the reply!

These were unfortunately official however my hope is that I can push for As in my remaining subjects (had a complete nightmare with FM in the exam hall) so I'll have to put that on my UCAS and hope for the best best, taking any other chances I get.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending