The Student Room Group

English Lit coursework decision

I need to choose my two texts for the English Literature coursework (edexcel exam board) and I’m struggling on what second book to pick. I need to make a decision by next week. I’ve chosen Slaughterhouse five for my first text, and my teacher says It could be useful for context to pick two books by the same author, so I was thinking about choosing Cat’s cradle. However, I saw someone online saying I’d have less material when comparing context, so I thought I’d do Catch 22 instead. I read some of the book and found myself not wanting to write about it for coursework (though it is interesting) so now I’m wondering if I should just pick Cat’s cradle or look up more suggestions before next week. If anyone has some books they’d think I could compare to SF It’d be much appreciated.
Original post by p.melz
I need to choose my two texts for the English Literature coursework (edexcel exam board) and I’m struggling on what second book to pick. I need to make a decision by next week. I’ve chosen Slaughterhouse five for my first text, and my teacher says It could be useful for context to pick two books by the same author, so I was thinking about choosing Cat’s cradle. However, I saw someone online saying I’d have less material when comparing context, so I thought I’d do Catch 22 instead. I read some of the book and found myself not wanting to write about it for coursework (though it is interesting) so now I’m wondering if I should just pick Cat’s cradle or look up more suggestions before next week. If anyone has some books they’d think I could compare to SF It’d be much appreciated.

lucky for aqa i had to pick two different writers. i wouldnt worry about lack of context, there'll be loads, i got 48/50 and only mentioned the writers real life maybe once.
Original post by p.melz

Hi! I totally relate to that feeling of not knowing which book to do your coursework on. I think what would be useful is making a list of both books and seeing which you have more to say about. If you can find one overarching argument for a book and feel you have quotes that back up that argument, then I'd go for that!

Quick Reply