The Student Room Group

gcse revision during summer holidays

im currently in year 10, so i've got my gcses coming up next year. i was wondering if i am supposed to revise during the summer holidays, and if i am, how much should i be doing? i am aiming for 7/8/9s, and i have those grades in all of my subjects except english lit and lang (i am currently a grade 6 in both) .
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by nirvanaa_09
im currently in year 10, so i've got my gcses coming up next year. i was wondering if i am supposed to revise during the summer holidays, and if i am, how much should i be doing? i am aiming for 7/8/9s, and i have those grades in all of my subjects except english lit and lang (i am currently a grade 6 in both) .

Hello! Personally i didnt, but it is always a good idea to make revision resources so when it comes nearer to your gcses you are not learning the content, just revising it 🙂
Reply 2

dont stress about revising, im predicted 8/9s in everything and i didnt start until the mocks! i do encourage you to work hard, and if you really want to revise id make resources like flashcards, notes, mindmaps whatever works for you because i never had chance and i do regret it! if you feel you need to focus on english id recommed learning quotations and analysis for lit and language and structural devices for lang! (dont stress this tho id do closer to your gcses!) even if you dont enjoy it please read it helps so much to develop vocab as well as understanding how to write! im impressed by your dedication, keep up the hard work and motivation! :smile:)
Reply 3

Currently in GCSEs rn and honestly if your mock are in November then it’s not a bad idea to start prepping your revision notes on what you will be assessed in them. As well as this for quotations i would say to start learning them around 3 weeks before your mocks just so you have time to be able to do practice essays and analysis on them. Of course in the real thing I would say to start in February which is a good time to start going over weaker topics March, I had my second mocks but honestly just review what you’ve learnt but April I would say you start memorising quotes again and practice papers. Honestly if you just revise properly for your mocks, most of the knowledge kinda carries on to the GCSEs so dont worry and don’t stress too much during the summer because the GCSEs are for the whole country and not everyone is revising during the holidays. I only started revising during April because during the mocks I memorised everything I needed to and got good grades so I didn’t need to do much but practice questions to find reoccurring topics.
Hope it helped :wink:
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 4
Original post by niamhh_x
dont stress about revising, im predicted 8/9s in everything and i didnt start until the mocks! i do encourage you to work hard, and if you really want to revise id make resources like flashcards, notes, mindmaps whatever works for you because i never had chance and i do regret it! if you feel you need to focus on english id recommed learning quotations and analysis for lit and language and structural devices for lang! (dont stress this tho id do closer to your gcses!) even if you dont enjoy it please read it helps so much to develop vocab as well as understanding how to write! im impressed by your dedication, keep up the hard work and motivation! :smile:)

thank you so much, especially for the english advice! from what you said, i think i'll focus on english language and literature, and also make some resources for my other subjects. best of luck with your gcses! 🙂
Reply 5
Original post by Bumikaa
Currently in GCSEs rn and honestly if your mock are in November then it’s not a bad idea to start prepping your revision notes on what you will be assessed in them. As well as this for quotations i would say to start learning them around 3 weeks before your mocks just so you have time to be able to do practice essays and analysis on them. Of course in the real thing I would say to start in February which is a good time to start going over weaker topics March, I had my second mocks but honestly just review what you’ve learnt but April I would say you start memorising quotes again and practice papers. Honestly if you just revise properly for your mocks, most of the knowledge kinda carries on to the GCSEs so dont worry and don’t stress too much during the summer because the GCSEs are for the whole country and not everyone is revising during the holidays. I only started revising during April because during the mocks I memorised everything I needed to and got good grades so I didn’t need to do much but practice questions to find reoccurring topics.
Hope it helped :wink:

thank you! it's nice to know that i don't have to pressure myself to revise loads during the summer holidays, i've decided ill just make resources during the summer (and focus on eng lit and lang), and then hopefully during my mocks ill be able to memorise what i need to like you did. best of luck with your gcses! 🙂
My best advice for how to get ready for English at the beginning of the Summer without feeling like you are stressing yourself or fully revising is to read. You can read set texts like Macbeth, you can read poetry or anthology texts, and just generally reading fiction and non fiction, whatever interests you, can build your writing skills and vocabulary, and give you some practice reading between the lines. Everyone I speak to who never seem to struggle with English seem to read well/pretty often, so it's a good practice to get into. Best of luck! :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by princesschip
My best advice for how to get ready for English at the beginning of the Summer without feeling like you are stressing yourself or fully revising is to read. You can read set texts like Macbeth, you can read poetry or anthology texts, and just generally reading fiction and non fiction, whatever interests you, can build your writing skills and vocabulary, and give you some practice reading between the lines. Everyone I speak to who never seem to struggle with English seem to read well/pretty often, so it's a good practice to get into. Best of luck! :smile:

thank you so much! i definitely don't read enough, so i'll be sure to start making it a habit. 🙂

I wouldn’t stress out but maybe if u do two hours a week and just make some revision resources such as flash cards mind maps since when it comes to ur real mocks or exams it’s so helpful having notes already there instead of stressing out the night before yr real GCSEs cause u never prepared anything (going through that right now got English lit Tmr 😭)

honestly i don’t think you should if your grades are already decent. also gcses don’t require that much work in general compared to a levels.

if you wanna do smth maybe just make sure you’ve got your flashcards/notes ready from year 10. enjoy your holiday though !! in y11
you’re gonna have to worry about mocks then gcses then applying to sixth forms and starting a levels and what career you want etc. just enjoy your last bit of free time please and don’t make the same mistake i did

best of luck <3
Original post by Lucyfowler
I wouldn’t stress out but maybe if u do two hours a week and just make some revision resources such as flash cards mind maps since when it comes to ur real mocks or exams it’s so helpful having notes already there instead of stressing out the night before yr real GCSEs cause u never prepared anything (going through that right now got English lit Tmr 😭)

thank you! good luck with your exams! 🙂
Original post by sighhhhhhhh
honestly i don’t think you should if your grades are already decent. also gcses don’t require that much work in general compared to a levels.
if you wanna do smth maybe just make sure you’ve got your flashcards/notes ready from year 10. enjoy your holiday though !! in y11
you’re gonna have to worry about mocks then gcses then applying to sixth forms and starting a levels and what career you want etc. just enjoy your last bit of free time please and don’t make the same mistake i did
best of luck <3
thank you! 🙂
Reply 12

hi guys, i am a year 11 who has flashcards on every topic for every subject ive done and english literature mindmaps for every character and theme
in the following texts:
•AN inspector calls
•pride and prejudice
•much ado about nothing
I have flashcards on every topic for
•AQA TRIPLE SCINCE
•AQA Business
•AQA RS islam and christianity
•AQA RS Themes A,B,D,E
•AQA geography
•OCR computer scince

Also Have a list of every q that could come for spanish SPEAKING edexcel gcse and garde 9 marked answers too x, physical and digital copies that helped me gey 66/70 on my mocks
These are all grade 9 flashacrds that im looking to sell, so lmkkk if you would like someee
Hi, I feel like it’s important you revise, but don’t overdo it, make sure you to give yourself a break.

I would probably recommend previewing what’s to come in year 11?

MyEdSpace does summer school online usually for two days and it’s at a low price (usually around £10 i would think) for the core GCSE subjects. It should help with recapping and previewing.

It’s also important you recap what you’ve done in year 10, for example, make sure all your notes are polished, any flashcards made, and make sure you organize and store all your notes (e.g using folders) ready for year 11.
Original post by kitty15
Hi, I feel like it’s important you revise, but don’t overdo it, make sure you to give yourself a break.
I would probably recommend previewing what’s to come in year 11?
MyEdSpace does summer school online usually for two days and it’s at a low price (usually around £10 i would think) for the core GCSE subjects. It should help with recapping and previewing.
It’s also important you recap what you’ve done in year 10, for example, make sure all your notes are polished, any flashcards made, and make sure you organize and store all your notes (e.g using folders) ready for year 11.

hi, thank you so much! ill definitely look into that.
Reply 15

girl take it from someone who isin yr 11 dont stress u have time just revise things ur hard at like english and make sure u understand everything in sciences if not only revise or go over those topics and thats it 4 science for maths start past paper now 1/2 a week that helped me go from a 4 -8

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending