The Student Room Group

Can I apply to top unis with A* A* B?

For my year 12 mocks I got A* sociology, A* psychology but I got a B in biology.

I wanted to apply to top unis for Psychology, especially Uni of Edinburgh but the entry requirements are A* A* A. Will I even have a chance of getting an offer because I got a grade below what is needed?

My teachers said the grades we get on the mocks will be our predicted grades so it's unlikely my bio teachers will change the grades, especially since I usually get Bs-As anyways, sometimes Cs.

I just want to know whether there's any point in applying to top unis with these grades, or should I set my sights elsewhere. Thank you for any help.

Scroll to see replies

Theres several variables you can use to ease the grades. Check if they decrease grades for making the uni a firm option, check if your school performs worse on average, if you have any physical/mental health problems that you can ‘prove’ impacted you grades you can use that too
Original post by always-anxious
For my year 12 mocks I got A* sociology, A* psychology but I got a B in biology.
I wanted to apply to top unis for Psychology, especially Uni of Edinburgh but the entry requirements are A* A* A. Will I even have a chance of getting an offer because I got a grade below what is needed?
My teachers said the grades we get on the mocks will be our predicted grades so it's unlikely my bio teachers will change the grades, especially since I usually get Bs-As anyways, sometimes Cs.
I just want to know whether there's any point in applying to top unis with these grades, or should I set my sights elsewhere. Thank you for any help.

Nothing wrong with choosing 1-2 unis above your predicted grades as aspirational choices.
Original post by IDKwhatUsername9
Theres several variables you can use to ease the grades. Check if they decrease grades for making the uni a firm option, check if your school performs worse on average, if you have any physical/mental health problems that you can ‘prove’ impacted you grades you can use that too

thank you, i'll look into this :-)
Original post by ageshallnot
Nothing wrong with choosing 1-2 unis above your predicted grades as aspirational choices.

yeah this is what i thought was first, I just didn't want to waste time applying to unis that would immediately turn me away bc of grades. Thanks for the clarification :-)
Reply 5

u can either regret not applying or apply and see what happens, if u dont apply just remember theres a 0% chance of getting in
Reply 6

Your predicted grades will be considered. Some arm twisting might be needed, with big evidence to your teachers that you can get the entry grades. My daughter got into Edinburgh, and is at St Andrews doing psychology. She absolutely loves it! A good personal statement is so important, so all the very very best to you. 😁
Original post by s1enn5
u can either regret not applying or apply and see what happens, if u dont apply just remember theres a 0% chance of getting in

yeah this is a good way of thinking, i'll probably apply to these unis as aspirational choices when the time comes
Original post by EMRuk
Your predicted grades will be considered. Some arm twisting might be needed, with big evidence to your teachers that you can get the entry grades. My daughter got into Edinburgh, and is at St Andrews doing psychology. She absolutely loves it! A good personal statement is so important, so all the very very best to you. 😁

thank you for your kind words :-) I'm glad to hear your daughter is happy with her choices!
Reply 9
thank you for your kind words :-) I'm glad to hear your daughter is happy with her choices!

Edinburgh asked for her highest grades. A*, A* A. Her predicted grades were 3 x A*. Psychology is furiously competitive, so your teacher might be your best bet. 😁
Original post by EMRuk
Edinburgh asked for her highest grades. A*, A* A. Her predicted grades were 3 x A*. Psychology is furiously competitive, so your teacher might be your best bet. 😁

ah I see, thanks for letting me know!
Reply 11

my predicted grades were a*ab and i got offers from ucl, kings, birmingham and notts (which i'd consider to be top unis)
the entry requirement at ucl was aaa for my course and i was sceptical as to whether they'd give me an offer and they did!
hope this helps in some way :]
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by tynix
my predicted grades were a*ab too and i got offers from ucl, kings, birmingham and notts (which i'd consider to be top unis)
the entry requirement at ucl was aaa for my course and i was sceptical as to whether they'd give me an offer and they did!
hope this helps in some way :]

Oh wow, that's great! I'm glad things went well for you :-) Thank for giving me hope
Original post by s1enn5

You just made me go woah, like it's such an obvious thing to say but my brain is too worried to reason. Thanks random person :smile:

Hi there,

Firstly, congratulations on your excellent grades! As for your concerns about your biology grade and its impact on your university application, it is understandable to feel uncertain.

Whilst some universities have high entry requirements, it is important to remember that most universities admissions teams will make decisions based on a holistic view of your application. For example, universities will consider aspects such as your personal statement, extra curricular activities and sometimes even interviews if your course requires an interview.

Given your very strong performance in your subjects, you are likely to receive offers from top universities. It is your decision where to apply, however I would encourage you to go for it! It is great to have aspirational goals and a university which your aiming for, especially as you never know what will happen. Make sure to also apply for a university which could be a backup if you are concerned about not reaching the specific grades you need for Edinburgh. There are so many excellent universities out there, so it is always good to keep an open mind and explore all of your options.

Best of luck with your applications!

Millie 🙂
BSc International Development
Original post by UniofReading
Hi there,
Firstly, congratulations on your excellent grades! As for your concerns about your biology grade and its impact on your university application, it is understandable to feel uncertain.
Whilst some universities have high entry requirements, it is important to remember that most universities admissions teams will make decisions based on a holistic view of your application. For example, universities will consider aspects such as your personal statement, extra curricular activities and sometimes even interviews if your course requires an interview.
Given your very strong performance in your subjects, you are likely to receive offers from top universities. It is your decision where to apply, however I would encourage you to go for it! It is great to have aspirational goals and a university which your aiming for, especially as you never know what will happen. Make sure to also apply for a university which could be a backup if you are concerned about not reaching the specific grades you need for Edinburgh. There are so many excellent universities out there, so it is always good to keep an open mind and explore all of your options.
Best of luck with your applications!
Millie 🙂
BSc International Development

This makes sense, thanks for your reply!
Yes, you can defo apply to top unis with those grades! I was in this exact position a year ago when I got a B on my physics mock in year 12 - flash-forward a year and I'll be going to Durham to study Physics this September (if a-levels go well). Good Luck - you've got this!
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by grace832743
Yes, you can defo apply to top unis with those grades! I was in this exact position a year ago when I got a B on my physics mock in year 12 - flash-forward a year and I'm should be going to Durham to study Physics this September (if a-levels go well). Good Luck - you've got this!

Wow, I'm glad things went well for you, best of luck for your a-levels! Thanks for the reassurance :-)
Original post by EMRuk

what grades did she get in her a-levels?
Reply 19
Original post by lanadeltay
what grades did she get in her a-levels?

Hi there, she got A*, A*, A, as was required by Edinburgh. I think her St Andrews offer for psychology was A*AA. 😁

Quick Reply