The Student Room Group

A Level physics kinetic theory and thermal physics - is mark scheme wrong or am I?

The question says "there are four discs each of mass 3kg. Calculate the temperature rise of the discs, given that the specific heat capacity of steel is 470 Jkg^-1K^-1". The energy intake was known to be 90,000J from a previous part of the question.

I got 16K, but the mark scheme says it should be 16 degrees Celsius? Is the mark scheme wrong or am I? I thought it would be in Kelvin because of the units given for the specific heat capacity.
Original post by College student2
The question says "there are four discs each of mass 3kg. Calculate the temperature rise of the discs, given that the specific heat capacity of steel is 470 Jkg^-1K^-1". The energy intake was known to be 90,000J from a previous part of the question.

I got 16K, but the mark scheme says it should be 16 degrees Celsius? Is the mark scheme wrong or am I? I thought it would be in Kelvin because of the units given for the specific heat capacity.

Does the question ask for specific units?
Reply 2

I mean K goes up at the same rate as Celsius so they are equivalent answers, but if they asked for units then you'd have to put it in those units
Original post by zmp903
I mean K goes up at the same rate as Celsius so they are equivalent answers, but if they asked for units then you'd have to put it in those units
Thanks, I had forgotten that they were equivalent answers
Original post by Talkative Toad
Does the question ask for specific units?

No
No

In that case then I’m not sure @Eimmanuel might know the answer
(edited 2 months ago)

Can you show the actual question and actual mark scheme?

As zmp903 had mentioned your answer 16 K is the same as 16 degree Celsius. I don't think you should be worried.

Quick Reply