The Student Room Group

Work experience

I want to go into finance but the thing is I’m a part of programmes but I haven’t done much work experience yet and most deadlines have closed and I’m really unsure because I don’t know what to use for my personal statement when I start in year 13.
Original post by KittyKat451
I want to go into finance but the thing is I’m a part of programmes but I haven’t done much work experience yet and most deadlines have closed and I’m really unsure because I don’t know what to use for my personal statement when I start in year 13.
Do you intend to do a degree in finance or do you intend to work in finance?

If you intend to do a degree in finance, then I don't think the work experience would matter that much. I think showcasing that you have read widely on the subject and that you have strong interest in the subject matter tend to help more, especially if you read up books on mathematical finance.

If you tend to work in finance, then I think it's a slightly different matter. It's incredibly difficult to get work experience in finance, and you are often better off doing the preparations for getting work in the sector. I would strongly recommend that you network and find out as much as you can about the specific role that you want to get into as it's very difficult to switch from one role in finance to another (that is if you manage to get a role in finance in the first place).
As I don't know which role that you're specifically going for, it's very difficult to recommend any professional qualifications that you can either look into or do right after your Year 13 exams (you should be able to do most of them, if you need any at all).
Reply 2
Original post by KittyKat451

Work experience helps on a personal statement, but it is not a must. If you really can't find any work experience before the UCAS deadline, I'd suggest demonstrating your interest in finance through super-curriculars and wider reading. These will strengthen your application and even if you have not done any relevant work experience, you can still mention that you are part of programmes, so long as you can relate them to wanting to study finance.

Quick Reply