The Student Room Group

Gap year

Hi, I am struggling to find something I want to do at uni and am thinking of taking a gap year. However I don’t know what I would even do in the gap year? I just know that I want to travel. Any suggestions on what to do would be really appreciated, thanks.
Original post by twenty18
Hi, I am struggling to find something I want to do at uni and am thinking of taking a gap year. However I don’t know what I would even do in the gap year? I just know that I want to travel. Any suggestions on what to do would be really appreciated, thanks.

I have written an answer in a similar thread, so I am adding it here:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7479363

I strongly recommend that you consider:

Doing an internship or work experience in a sector that you think that you would like to work in (after doing as much research in the area as you can by networking with people who did similar roles)

Consider doing a qualification up to NVQ Level 3 to help with getting work so you are not limited to work in roles where you don't require particular qualifications e.g. supermarkets, catering, warehousing, retail. Typical qualifications that come to mind include: personal trainer, teaching English as a foreign language (e.g. CertTESOL by Trinity College London and CELTA by Cambridge), marketing (CIM, not that you need qualifications to get into marketing), accounting (AAT, not that you can't go straight into a professional accounting qualification right after A Level), HR (CIPD, not that you need a qualification to get into HR), IT (too many to list), trades (see local college), sports coaching up to Level 2, finance related qualifications up to Level 3

Pick up skills that you would likely need for uni e.g. touch typing, Microsoft Office, presentation skills, academic writing, etc.

Get your driving license if you haven't already

What I don't recommend doing:

Just apply for any random job just to save up money unless it's to fund any of the above.

If you intend to travel, have you considered the following whilst you travel:

Doing a remote job - not many out there that don't require experience though

Teaching English as a Foreign Language

Tutoring online

Catering work, ideally through a professional network e.g. European Bar School (after you take their qualification)

Studying a foreign language through an immersion course in another country

Reply 2
Thank you so much, I will definitely look at these options - tutoring is a really good idea, thank you

Quick Reply