The Student Room Group

Can I do economics at uni without economics a level?

Currently, i'm taking A-levels in maths, physics, and computer science. Initially, I wanted to do computer science at uni, but now i'm considering doing economics. From doing research, I've seen that some unis don't require economics A-level and the majority are fine with at least A-level maths. However, since I don't do any essay subjects, dont know the basics of economics, and haven't even wrote a single essay since GCSEs, how would I transition into studying a subject I literally know nothing about? Would I struggle? Would I have to learn A-level economics content?
Original post by Y12EC
Currently, i'm taking A-levels in maths, physics, and computer science. Initially, I wanted to do computer science at uni, but now i'm considering doing economics. From doing research, I've seen that some unis don't require economics A-level and the majority are fine with at least A-level maths. However, since I don't do any essay subjects, dont know the basics of economics, and haven't even wrote a single essay since GCSEs, how would I transition into studying a subject I literally know nothing about? Would I struggle? Would I have to learn A-level economics content?

From doing research, I've seen that some unis don't require economics A-level and the majority are fine with at least A-level maths.
No, Economics A Level is never asked for in any economics degree as far as I know. Most of the time, it's a very mathematical degree, with quite a bit of essay writing. So long you are good with your maths and you can write essays under time pressure, you should be good.

However, since I don't do any essay subjects, dont know the basics of economics, and haven't even wrote a single essay since GCSEs, how would I transition into studying a subject I literally know nothing about?
Writing essays at university level will take practice unfortunately. I don't have any hard and fast rule, but practicing writing somewhat lengthy 2000 word essays tend to help.

Would I struggle? Would I have to learn A-level economics content?
Yes, you will cover some of the content in A Level Economics, but in a more mathematical and theoretical context.
I didn't struggle when I did economics at uni without A Level Economics, but I did have to catch up on a lot of studying by doing more than what most people who did the A Level had to do. Those who did it for A Level tend to have a firmer grasps of the content (it's not that much of an advantage though), but I wouldn't say you would ever struggle with it.
A lot of what you would need to know would be covered in lectures, so long you attend them and follow up with the reading and studying religiously.
If you want recommendations on texts to read for university level, let me know.

Also, why switch to economics from computer science? From what I can tell, your choices would make you very suitable for a degree in engineering.
Original post by y12ec

Hey, @Y12EC!

Since lots of schools/colleges don't offer Economics as an A-Level subject, universities don't typical require students to have studied it before degree level. However, as you've noticed yourself, due to the mathematical nature of some of the material, Maths is commonly requested - so it's great that you're already studying that!

Lots of students initially going into an Economics degree won't know the A-Level content; it's more about just having an interest in the field in general, good attendance at lectures and a willingness to learn the material in your free time. Yes, students who studied Economics at A-Level might have a better foundation for studying it as a degree, but it's nothing that can't be caught up on.

Best of luck with your decision!
Eve (Kingston Rep).
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 3
I've applied to economics this year and I can confirm the economics A-level isn't always required (although one of my offer do ask for an A in economics), but top unis do want further maths as university economics is very mathematical
Reply 4
Original post by Y12EC
You’ll be fine without Economics. You will have to learn some A-level content, but you’ll do that in the 1st year, which does not count towards your degree grade normally. Not having done essays since GCSEs shouldn’t be too much of an issue. It won’t stop you getting in, but you will quickly have to learn that skill also.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending