The Student Room Group

would getting a grade 5 in gcse maths hinder my chances at going to a top law school?

my gcse grades were 887776555 (5 in maths and 8-8 in english)
i want to know if there's anyone whos achieved being accepted in a top 10 law school in the UK with a 5 in maths? Im looking at wanting to go to schools such as UCL, nottingham, kcl etc (specifically russel groups)
Reply 1
Original post by kazublast
my gcse grades were 887776555 (5 in maths and 8-8 in english)
i want to know if there's anyone whos achieved being accepted in a top 10 law school in the UK with a 5 in maths? Im looking at wanting to go to schools such as UCL, nottingham, kcl etc (specifically russel groups)

For UCL the standard GCSE entry requirements for their law LLB course are a 6 in maths and a 6 in English language. If you are eligible for contextual offers, this may be reduced down to a 5, but they currently have not put out contextual requirements for 2025 entry. If not, usually not meeting GCSE requirements is automatic grounds for rejection, so if I were you, I would wait to see their contextual requirements or play it safe and not apply. UCL is an incredibly competitive university, but if it is your dream, then I would contact their admissions department for more information.

Nottingham only requires a 4 in 5 subjects including English language, so you would meet the requirements there. KCL doesn't specify GCSE requirements on their law course, which means that they would accept a 4 in GCSE maths, as it is their general GCSE admissions requirement for all courses that don't specify GCSE grades. UCL and KCL both require you to sit the LNAT, but KCL only looks at the multiple-choice questions score and not the essay portion. The cut off score for KCL for home students this year was 30, but it could increase or decrease next year. For international students I believe it was 27.

Long story short, it is possible. You don't need a high maths grade to study law at most Russell Group universities, with the exception of UCL and LSE (there may be some others that I have missed but I'm fairly certain that these are the only ones that require a 6 or above). Most universities don't tend to focus to heavily on your GCSEs for law, but there are again some exceptions. Bristol, for example, will weight your application in the ratio 20% :40% :40% for your GCSEs: A levels: LNAT. Your overall GCSE grades are quite decent, but if you are worried about them weakening your application, you might want to focus on universities who don't have high GCSE requirements at all. I will be applying to study law this year for 2025 entry and my GCSE grades are around the same range as yours (876554 with an 8 in English language and a 5 in maths). You should always be aspirational with your choices, but if you are really concerned about how your application may be perceived, I would apply to some lower ranking Russell Group universities or highly ranked non-Russell Group universities to ensure that you have good safety options. I will be applying to Nottingham, Leeds, York, Manchester and Birmingham (one may be switched out for KCL) - most of which have low GCSE requirements and are all ranked in the top 25 universities for law according to the CUG.
Reply 2
Original post by bibachu
For UCL the standard GCSE entry requirements for their law LLB course are a 6 in maths and a 6 in English language. If you are eligible for contextual offers, this may be reduced down to a 5, but they currently have not put out contextual requirements for 2025 entry. If not, usually not meeting GCSE requirements is automatic grounds for rejection, so if I were you, I would wait to see their contextual requirements or play it safe and not apply. UCL is an incredibly competitive university, but if it is your dream, then I would contact their admissions department for more information.
Nottingham only requires a 4 in 5 subjects including English language, so you would meet the requirements there. KCL doesn't specify GCSE requirements on their law course, which means that they would accept a 4 in GCSE maths, as it is their general GCSE admissions requirement for all courses that don't specify GCSE grades. UCL and KCL both require you to sit the LNAT, but KCL only looks at the multiple-choice questions score and not the essay portion. The cut off score for KCL for home students this year was 30, but it could increase or decrease next year. For international students I believe it was 27.
Long story short, it is possible. You don't need a high maths grade to study law at most Russell Group universities, with the exception of UCL and LSE (there may be some others that I have missed but I'm fairly certain that these are the only ones that require a 6 or above). Most universities don't tend to focus to heavily on your GCSEs for law, but there are again some exceptions. Bristol, for example, will weight your application in the ratio 20% :40% :40% for your GCSEs: A levels: LNAT. Your overall GCSE grades are quite decent, but if you are worried about them weakening your application, you might want to focus on universities who don't have high GCSE requirements at all. I will be applying to study law this year for 2025 entry and my GCSE grades are around the same range as yours (876554 with an 8 in English language and a 5 in maths). You should always be aspirational with your choices, but if you are really concerned about how your application may be perceived, I would apply to some lower ranking Russell Group universities or highly ranked non-Russell Group universities to ensure that you have good safety options. I will be applying to Nottingham, Leeds, York, Manchester and Birmingham (one may be switched out for KCL) - most of which have low GCSE requirements and are all ranked in the top 25 universities for law according to the CUG.

Hey! Its great to hear that im not the only one who was worried about sorta-low gcse requirements. Im still thinking but I think I'll try go for Nottingham, Warwick, KCL, Royal holloway and City, London University (RH or City might prolly get switched for another russel group ngl or a uni like surrey but im considering them since I live in london)
Best of luck to youu

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending