The Student Room Group
Power Station Simulator, University of Strathclyde
University of Strathclyde

Strathclyde MPharm Entry Requirements

I got 10 As at National 5 and I am currently sitting my Higher exams. I am doing Chemistry, Biology, English, Maths and Music. I dont think I did as well as I could have in Biology and I have a feeling I wouldn’t meet the requirement grade for the subject (which is an A). How likely is it to get an offer for the university if my Higher results are slightly under the entry requirements?
Original post by Anonymous
I got 10 As at National 5 and I am currently sitting my Higher exams. I am doing Chemistry, Biology, English, Maths and Music. I dont think I did as well as I could have in Biology and I have a feeling I wouldn’t meet the requirement grade for the subject (which is an A). How likely is it to get an offer for the university if my Higher results are slightly under the entry requirements?

Hey Anon! I can't say how likely it is that an offer would or wouldn't be made right now. The MPharm is very competitive for us as there's only two universities offering it in Scotland. We normally look for AAAB at Higher (Chemistry A, Biology A, Maths B, English B), and two Advanced Higher Bs preferably in Chemistry and Biology.

If you don't meet the requirements for Biology this year then it'd be worth considering your priorities for next year. It depends on how far off you are - for example if you failed Biology then maybe resitting the higher and taking 2 other advanced Highers (i.e. Chemistry and one other) would be best. It really does depend on the whole of your application, which other subjects and grades you have achieved etc.

At the moment you're waiting for your results, so there's nothing else you can do right now other than keep working hard at any highers you've still to sit and wait to find out your grades. Once you know how you do in S5 - you can give us a call on results day (the number will be on our webpage) and we'd be happy to help give advice for future years to make sure you have the right guidance going in to S6.

Good luck on results day!

Caitlin 🎓️
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
Power Station Simulator, University of Strathclyde
University of Strathclyde

Quick Reply