The Student Room Group

Unis for law

Hi, so I’m in y12 with a AAB prediction. I wanted to apply for law at a russet group uni. I’ve done my research and most require AAA. would it be worth me applying for a law with criminology course instead of straight law as it may be easier to get into. I also have an A in EPQ and have many ucas points through lamda drama qualifications.
Reply 1
Original post by student1374
Hi, so I’m in y12 with a AAB prediction. I wanted to apply for law at a russet group uni. I’ve done my research and most require AAA. would it be worth me applying for a law with criminology course instead of straight law as it may be easier to get into. I also have an A in EPQ and have many ucas points through lamda drama qualifications.

You can still receive an offer of AAA based on an AAB prediction. Universities know that they are only predictions based off your progress this year and will make offers to applicants even if their predicted grades are slightly below the entry requirements, so long as your personal statement (and LNAT if you decide to take it) can demonstrate that you are a strong applicant. You could apply for law with criminology if the offer meets or is below your current predicted grades as a target/safety choice, but I would only apply if you actually have an interest in taking law with criminology. Your A in the EPQ may be considered at some universities, but you'll have to check. A lot of the Russell Group universities, for law anyway, tend to not consider it as part of your application, but some may do. You can afford to be more aspirational since you already have lots of UCAS points. I would apply to maybe 2 non-Russell Group universities that either accept UCAS points or have entry requirements that your predicted grades exceed. These would act as your safety choices in case you don't get into a Russell Group university for law. If you haven't already, I would look into contextual offers, as if you are eligible, your predicted grades would meet the contextual requirements of many highly ranked Russell Group universities, such as KCL (5th in law according to the CUG) and Bristol (8th in law according to the CUG). This would mean you may have a better chance of securing a place as contextual offers are made to get students who have faced more disadvantages into higher education. Every university has a different criteria for their contextual offers, so this will be something you'll have to do research into.
Reply 2
Original post by bibachu
You can still receive an offer of AAA based on an AAB prediction. Universities know that they are only predictions based off your progress this year and will make offers to applicants even if their predicted grades are slightly below the entry requirements, so long as your personal statement (and LNAT if you decide to take it) can demonstrate that you are a strong applicant. You could apply for law with criminology if the offer meets or is below your current predicted grades as a target/safety choice, but I would only apply if you actually have an interest in taking law with criminology. Your A in the EPQ may be considered at some universities, but you'll have to check. A lot of the Russell Group universities, for law anyway, tend to not consider it as part of your application, but some may do. You can afford to be more aspirational since you already have lots of UCAS points. I would apply to maybe 2 non-Russell Group universities that either accept UCAS points or have entry requirements that your predicted grades exceed. These would act as your safety choices in case you don't get into a Russell Group university for law. If you haven't already, I would look into contextual offers, as if you are eligible, your predicted grades would meet the contextual requirements of many highly ranked Russell Group universities, such as KCL (5th in law according to the CUG) and Bristol (8th in law according to the CUG). This would mean you may have a better chance of securing a place as contextual offers are made to get students who have faced more disadvantages into higher education. Every university has a different criteria for their contextual offers, so this will be something you'll have to do research into.
I doubt I will be able to receive a contextual offer as I have been at a private school my whole mow with Y12 being my only in a grammar school.
Hi,

If your wanting to do a law degree, with the plan to go on to have a career that is directly linked (e.g. solicitor or barrister), then doing a undergraduate law degree would be the most direct route. There is another pathway into the legal and law sector jobs, but these normally would require you to do a masters degree in Law if your undergraduate degree isn't already. It really depends on what career that you are wanting to be doing in the future, which will determine if Criminology would be a good second choice and if your interested in criminology

I'm currently doing my Masters in Criminology, after doing my undergraduate in Professional Policing, and although they are within a similar subject area, the content that is covered is very different and has a different focus all together.

If you don't think you will be able to meet the grade requirements of some Russell group university's, I would recommend applying to at least one Non-Russell group university, as a backup plan.

Suzan - Student Ambassador
Original post by YSJstudents
Hi,
If your wanting to do a law degree, with the plan to go on to have a career that is directly linked (e.g. solicitor or barrister), then doing a undergraduate law degree would be the most direct route. There is another pathway into the legal and law sector jobs, but these normally would require you to do a masters degree in Law if your undergraduate degree isn't already. It really depends on what career that you are wanting to be doing in the future, which will determine if Criminology would be a good second choice and if your interested in criminology
I'm currently doing my Masters in Criminology, after doing my undergraduate in Professional Policing, and although they are within a similar subject area, the content that is covered is very different and has a different focus all together.
If you don't think you will be able to meet the grade requirements of some Russell group university's, I would recommend applying to at least one Non-Russell group university, as a backup plan.
Suzan - Student Ambassador

The route into the legal profession for a person without a law degree is a one year qualification called a Graduate Diploma in Law (GDL).

PS: The following is meant helpfully: The word "you're" is spelled in that way, and requires an apostrophe (an apostrophe is used only when one or more letters has been deliberately omitted). The plural of "university" is "universities". An apostrophe is not used in plurals.
Reply 5
I am also passionate about psychology. Would it be a good idea to do a psychology degree then the GDL? At a Russell group uni as the entry requirements for psych are typically one grade less.
Reply 6
I am also passionate about psychology. Would it be a good idea to do a psychology degree then the GDL? At a Russell group uni as the entry requirements for psych are typically one grade less.

Only pursue the subject that you are interested in studying right now. If that's psychology then go for it, but don't base it solely off of entry requirements. You could still get into a Russell Group university with your current predicted grades. If you are still majorly concerned, I would try to persuade your teacher to raise your predicted grade in the subject you are predicted a B in.
Reply 7
Original post by bibachu
Only pursue the subject that you are interested in studying right now. If that's psychology then go for it, but don't base it solely off of entry requirements. You could still get into a Russell Group university with your current predicted grades. If you are still majorly concerned, I would try to persuade your teacher to raise your predicted grade in the subject you are predicted a B in.

It is history I have a B in. I have achieved As and Bs throughout all of Y12 but unfortunately got a C on my mock and so he is hesitant to raise by grade by 2.
I do not envy teachers the task of predicting grades. On the one hand, they wish to support students, but on the other hand they do a student no favours by pitching the prediction too high. It is perhaps difficult for a teacher to disregard the result of a mock exam, which is intended to simulate the difficulty and conditions of the real exam.

Perhaps in a society in a which resources were distributed more fairly, and in which higher education was a right and not a commodity to be bought, all those who wish to apply to university would do so with achieved grades, and everyone would have a gap year. Perhaps (say) six or nine months of the gap year would be publicly funded. People would do organised charitable work, or maybe attend some courses on non-academic adult skills.

Research suggests appears that our brains may not form completely until we are in our twenties, Perhaps we are all in too much of a rush to enter the world of jobs, mortgages, life insurance etc.

In the present system, the business of hunting for offers and waiting tensely for grades imposes a lot of anxiety on people.

hey i applied for law this year and there are quite a few unis which take into account the epq which lower the entry requirements as well as some having originally lower entry requirements. this year I got an offer from the following unis:
kent was AAB
queen mary was A*AA OR AAA + A in epq
sheffield AAB + A in epq OR AAA
LSE A*AA
kings unsuccessful :frown:

so you can see the epq can really help especially because you already have the grade

do your research and look at unis websites to see if they will lower the grades with an EPQ or have already got a low grade entry

off the top fo my head these r some other unis you could look at:
exeter has A*AA-AAA so for you will most likely give you a AAA condition
SOAS A*AA originally but if you do the LNAT it gets bumped down to AAA-ABB
royal holloway should be AAA or AAB i think
uni fo law BBB
Essex too

hope this helps :smile:
Original post by isabellag0093
hey i applied for law this year and there are quite a few unis which take into account the epq which lower the entry requirements as well as some having originally lower entry requirements. this year I got an offer from the following unis:
kent was AAB
queen mary was A*AA OR AAA + A in epq
sheffield AAB + A in epq OR AAA
LSE A*AA
kings unsuccessful :frown:
so you can see the epq can really help especially because you already have the grade
do your research and look at unis websites to see if they will lower the grades with an EPQ or have already got a low grade entry
off the top fo my head these r some other unis you could look at:
exeter has A*AA-AAA so for you will most likely give you a AAA condition
SOAS A*AA originally but if you do the LNAT it gets bumped down to AAA-ABB
royal holloway should be AAA or AAB i think
uni fo law BBB
Essex too
hope this helps :smile:

Hi, what were your predictions?
Hi, what were your predictions?

I was predicted A*A*A but ill be lucky to get A* AA from how alevels have gone so far. I do history as well so if you need any tips or 20/20 essays I would be happy to share some.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending